List menu and dynamic values

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 17, 2012   (RSS)

By Twocans - October 16, 2012

Hi yea

How do I get rid of the "Previous Selection (no longer in list)", please select, and the <select> See image.

I just wanted to have a list menu where as "Please Select" was visible coaxing the user to use the list menu. THe please select would if I could get it so the value of 0. I have had a look around and not see any available documentation showing simple operations like this.

K
Attachments:

listm.jpg 31K

Re: [twocans] List menu and dynamic values

By Twocans - October 16, 2012

Please note there are only 2 records in the database, num 1,2,3. I dont see the <select> in the database nor do I see the "Please Select"

cheers

k

By gregThomas - October 16, 2012

Hi,

You are getting Previous Selection (no longer in list) as the record previously had this value selected before you removed that option. To stop it showing just select any other value from the dropdown.

There isn't a way you can remove the <select> option from the dropdown without manually editing the code of CMS Builder, which we don't recommend.

It is possible to have an option selected by default for a list. If you go to the section Editor and click the modify link for the section that contains the list field. Then click on the modify link for the list field its self. You need to add the list option you want to be the default to the Default Value text field and ensure that the Required checkbox is ticked. (See attached image for example).

Thanks
Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com
Attachments:

example.png 34K

Re: [greg] List menu and dynamic values

By Twocans - October 17, 2012

Thank you.

with re "You are getting Previous Selection (no longer in list) as the record previously had this value selected before you removed that option. To stop it showing just select any other value from the dropdown."

Can you tell me at what stage I had this value selected. I am totally confused. I have created a list menu using dynamic content. I am >>> admin >>> modify where the list is been shown >>> I select modiy on that. I am not given an option to tell it I had not anything previously set.

I had nothing previouslly selected.

I am totally confused as to what stage I would have had it previously selected.

cheers

k

By gregThomas - October 17, 2012

Hi,

That sounds like it could have been the cause of the problem, another common cause is setting up a list field, saving it, and then afterwards changing the name of a list item or the source of the list items. This then causes all of the entries that had items selected to have incorrect data.

So your pulling Yes and No variables dynamically from another table using the get options from database (advanced) list option? If this is is the case then the default value you need to enter is the option value for the item you want to be automatically selected.

So in the example image on this post, the num field is what is being used for the option value, and the entry with a num value of 3 will be what is automatically selected.
Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com
Attachments:

example_001.png 32K