question on cms builder database

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 16, 2011   (RSS)

By dimeco - October 14, 2011

I do have I think 2 licences of cms builder which I admit I still haven't used yet.... (time mostly).

My current article system is really starting to bog down our server being that it's cgi based too, so I'm leaning to putting the cms builder in place as I did intend to do.

My question, and PLEASE be honest here:

Can it truly handle thousands upon thousands of articles without slowing down drastically?

i.e., I currently have over 47,000 articles in my database, and the submissions are picking up speed, I'm getting now typically 750-1000 submissions a day now. (No, I can't keep up with them all, partially because my current "build" status is so slow...).

And of course many are junk.

However - most of those 47,000 articles are legitimate and live.

I did put in a quote request a while ago to do some customizing which I hope to do soon, but before I do proceed, I need to make sure this system will be able to handle it without slowing my server.

(i.e., wordpress hogs resources, my cgi program hogs resources... I need something that doesn't).

Amber

Re: [dimeco] question on cms builder database

By Dave - October 14, 2011

Hi Amber,

Yes it can. CMSB Builder is basically an easy to use, light-weight wrapper around the MySQL database, so it can support anything MySQL can.

Developers rarely need to optimize anything but if you do need to you just optimize MySQL the same way you would if you had a custom written application. So you get the benefits of both worlds, fast development with CMSB and the ability to still optimize MySQL for high-traffic websites if you need to.

Regardless, if you are planning a big migration it might be worth it to write a test script to generate 100,000 random articles to test the performance in advance.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to help. :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com