Geocoder - getting started

By furcat - September 26, 2011

I've purchased and installed the Geocoder plugin, and added the fields longitude and latitude to the section editor where I want that to be effective. However, I am not getting any data when I enter new records and/or save records. I've reviewed the examples that came with the Geocoder plug-in. Do my field names for address, state, zip, etc. have to be exactly as shown in the example in order for this plugin to work?

Thanks.

Re: [furcat] Geocoder - getting started

By robin - September 27, 2011

Hey Furcat,

The fields need to be named in a way the geocoder expects as shown in the readme. The order of your fields doesn't matter.

One way to debug this kind of thing. You can go to the plugins sections of CMS Builder, and find the geocoder. It has a link where you can manually geocode a table. If there are any problems it will let you know.

Hope that helps,
Robin
Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Re: [robin] Geocoder - getting started

By furcat - September 27, 2011

Thank you. I just renamed the zip code I had from contractor_zip to just zip, and that worked.

By furcat - September 27, 2011

OK. I've got this displaying a map on my project. But, I have another issue, and a question.

Question: If I want the Google map to display directions, what do I need to do?

Issue: Ultimately what I'm wanting to do is the Proximity search with results sorted by distance, and that's the primary reason that I purchased the plug-in. However, when I click on the example code to view it, it gives me an error: MySQL Error: Unknown column '_distance' in 'order clause' , so, I don't think I can use that code in my project? Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

By ross - September 29, 2011

Hi Furcat

I think we might be working on this one already through support. So far it's looking to be an issue with MySQL and we are doing some further testing.

Of course, if this isn't something we are already working on, could you send me a second level support request so I can take a closer look?

https://www.interactivetools.com/support/email_support_form.php

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By gkornbluth - October 5, 2011

Hi furcat,

Could you share the solution with us so we can all learn more about using the plugin?

Thanks

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Geocoder - getting started

By furcat - October 6, 2011

Well, I paid for some programming from interactivetools for this project concerning the Geocoder. I was able to get the maps working, but not the sorting by zip code. To be honest, I have been so pushed on this project that I have only briefly reviewed what they did to get it working the way I wanted it. I've tested it, but, that's all.

I will definitely look at it in more detail to gain an understanding of it, and will share once I have a chance to catch my breath and get this site published. We should be launching in a few days.