Reuse/Export a Schema

6 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 17, 2011   (RSS)

By dennisoneil - August 16, 2011

We do most of our business with one particular vertical of clients. They almost always have the same data structure required for the content on their websites.

Over the years, we've developed some "best practices" for the CMSB setup process to ensure we plan for all the right fields, image sizes, allowed/disallowed characters, notes and instructions, etc.

Is there a way for me to export the settings of a fully setup CMSB install? I'd like to be able to automagically create all of the sections, fields, and validation criteria, etc in a new install, saving us the setup time (and ensuring we don't forget anything).

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: [dennisoneil] Reuse/Export a Schema

By Dave - August 16, 2011

Hi Dennis,

Sure, with the latest version this is pretty easy. It's pretty much the same as doing a backup and restore, you'd just be restoring a default setup with all your best practices pre-configured.

To backup:
- Setup a default CMSB install exactly the way you want it, including sections, data, and private labeling
- Create a backup file under: Admin > General

To restore:
- Upload the /cmsAdmin/ folder to the new site
- Remove /cmsAdmin/data/isInstalled.php
- Run admin.php and fill out install screen
- Select "Restore Backup" instead of "Create Admin User" to restore default data

And that's it. There's a few other tricks for restoring individual sections, but the blanket approach above is the simplest and does everything. Let me know if that works for you or any other questions or "export/import" requirements and I'll try to assist.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [zip222] Reuse/Export a Schema

Wow. That's great news.
I'm now ashamed I didn't look for a solution sooner.

Thanks zip222.

Re: [Dave] Reuse/Export a Schema

That's great. Thanks Dave.

Re: [zip222] Reuse/Export a Schema

By InHouse - August 17, 2011

I can confirm zip222's approach. We've done this for years. Makes setting up a new a snap. We've actually collected a raft of schemas into a single folder so we can pick and choose what we need for a new project.

Back in the "old days" most multi-page sections in CMSB came with the Hidden and auto-publishing fields present by defualt. This approach was primarily used to return us to that state.

Of course, I'm sure Dave's approach is not only accurate but better in all sorts of clever ways. ;-)

J.