New Install Error - GoDaddy

12 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 30, 2012   (RSS)

By dkane11 - August 23, 2010

I am a new user and encountering the following error on installation:

This program requires the PHP 'mbstring' extension.
Please ask your hosting provider (or server administrator) to install missing PHP extension(s).

I am hosting with a GoDaddy Shared Linux Deluxe Account. I have PHP 4.x activated.

If I change the PHP Version to 5.x, I do not receive the error message and can continue the installation. The problem is I have other applications already running that only will run on PHP 4 and these applications stop working when I switch to PHP 5.

Is there a way to activate the mbstring extension on PHP 4 in GoDaddy without having to change to PHP verion 5?

Thank you for any assistance.

Re: [dkane11] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By Jason - August 24, 2010

Hi,

As long as you're running at least PHP 4.3.2, your hosting provider should be able to install the mbstring extension for you. You shouldn't need to upgrade to PHP 5.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [dkane11] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By zip222 - October 29, 2010

Just an FYI, GoDaddy says the mbstring extension is not available on shared hosting accounts.

Re: [zip222] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By squeazel - December 16, 2010

Has anyone found a solution? I've also just discovered a host that won't allow mbstring and it's preventing me from upgrading.

Do you know what the latest CMS builder version is that DOESN'T require mbstring?

Re: [charnushka] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By Chris - December 17, 2010

Hi charnushka,

I'd like to look into fixing this for you. Can you provide me with your FTP details via a [url http://www.interactivetools.com/support/]Second Level Support Request[/url]? Please put my name and a link to this forum thread in the comments section.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By squeazel - December 17, 2010

Chris,

My apologies. I should have posted again to let you know I managed after a few tried to convince the host enable mbstring.

Re: [charnushka] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By Chris - December 17, 2010

Hi charnushka,

Glad to hear you got it working. :)

If anyone is having trouble getting CMS Builder working on GoDaddy, (or anywhere else,) please let me know.
All the best,
Chris

Re: New Install Error - GoDaddy

By dwellingproductions - July 20, 2011 - edited: July 20, 2011

Just a follow-up, in case anyone is interested. GoDaddy told me that the only way they have been able to fix this for people is to set them up on a Virtual Dedicated Server. So, I went ahead and bit the bullet to set it up with them... and to be honest, I'm not sure why I haven't done it this way from the beginning. I guess I just never wanted to have to migrate all our client's sites to new servers.

Anyway, the funny thing is... I haven't even touched the problem website, and it is now magically working. So, they must have made an update anyway.

Oh well... now to start migrating all our sites. (Ouch!)

- Jeremy
---------------------------

Dwelling Productions

www.dwellingproductions.com

Re: [Chris] New Install Error - GoDaddy

By SkidderChains - May 30, 2012

I am having the same problem with GoDaddy. I have CMSB set up in two other hosting accounts with GoDaddy...now they will not install the 'mbstring' extensions. I have even upgraded to php5x and still getting the "This program requires the PHP 'mbstring' extension.
Please ask your hosting provider (or server administrator) to install missing PHP extension(s). " error message.