Domain/server question

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 20, 2011   (RSS)

By kovali - June 9, 2011

Hi,

I had a website setup with CMSB for a customer, he now lost his domainname due to some circumstances... so the site is unreachable but the server is still active with all pages and database/cms sitting there.

Is it possible to use a new domainname for this hosting account and continue using the database/cms as before ? I guess I will need to make some changes to the php code in each webpage to refer to the new domainname, but what should be changed into CMSB itself to continue working with the same database/cms content... if possible at all ??

Thanks for any help,
Koen

Re: [kovali] Domain/server question

By Jason - June 9, 2011

Hi Koen,

Yes, you should be able to do this. As long as the server paths of the CMS doesn't change, you probably won't have to change anything. Just in case you do need to move the CMS's location, you can make a backup of your database and files and then restore it once you've re-installed the software in it's new location.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [kovali] Domain/server question

By Jason - June 20, 2011

Hi Koen,

If the server is still active, you should be able to reach the site. If the domain itself has been disabled, you should still be able to get to CMS Builder using the IP address instead of the domain name.

The first thing I would do would be to contact your hosting provider and find out how you can temporarily reach your files through a browser.

If this cannot be done, another option would be your host providing you with a backup of your database and files that you can then download through your FTP client.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/