How many Records Can SQL Hold

11 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 12, 2011   (RSS)

By nmsinc - April 9, 2011

I'm adding aprox. 3000 records each year to our SQL database in CMS - how many records can SQL hold?

Also, I have seen some performance issues regarding speed of upload and access to the website that these records are available from, any ideas why or how I can better improve on this issue?

Thanks

R.B.H.
nmsinc

Re: [nmsinc] How many Records Can SQL Hold

By zip222 - April 9, 2011

It could be your hosting provider. I have experienced huge differences in the performance of databases from one hosting provider to another.

By gkornbluth - April 9, 2011

Hi RBH,

Sounds like more of a server issue. I'd ask your host about the capacity and speed of the MySQL databases. If the server is shared, that's going to vary on the specific load.

I know Dave and others have had some posts about how to write code to reduce server loads.

A search of the forum might come up with some ideas.

I've had good luck with IXWebHosting, but their shared services are vulnerable like all the rest.

I really like their always senior level, 24 x 7 tech support.

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By Dave - April 9, 2011

Hi nmsinc,

MySQL can support millions of records so you shouldn't have any problem with 3000. We have a few sites with record counts of over 100,000 and no performance issues.

But if you run into performance issues let us know and we'll try to help.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How many Records Can SQL Hold

By nmsinc - April 10, 2011

We use shared servers - I keep having problems with the server timing out do to low memory after I perform a backup or spider the site for our search engin. Our server provider claims that their equipment is fine and that it must be in our programing.

Any suggestions on where we should go from here?

Thanks

R.B.H.
nmsinc

By Jason - April 11, 2011

Hi,

How many records do you have currently? Do you only experience these problems in CMS Builder when you do a backup? Does it happen every time?

If it's happening intermittently then it would be due to the server. On a shared server, if there are a lot of people using the server at the same time, performance goes down. Do you experience performance issues outside of CMS Builder?

Let us know and we'll see what we can do?
Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] How many Records Can SQL Hold

By nmsinc - April 11, 2011

I have 25 websites on this shared server and four are using CMS with less then 10,000 records total. One website has 6,600 records - four tables with 821Kib total usage. We have another website that adds 170 records every two weeks. These records consist of mostly HTLM pages - the file has 2,300 records - four tables with a total file size 97Mib

Opening, saving, accessing and searching records within the database on both websites have slowed down considerably. Each time I backup any of the above databases the back-end portion of the server that manages email and client-side access goes into a memory allocation error. Our server company claims it's our software and not a problem with their server.

I'm now at a loss as to what needs to be done and any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

RBH
nmsinc

By Dave - April 11, 2011

Hi RBH,

Does the memory error say what your memory limit is? And how much are you paying a month for hosting? Is it less than $20?
interactivetools.com

By Dave - April 11, 2011

Hi RBH,

That sounds really odd. Virtual web hosting is only possible because it shouldn't be possible for one user to crash the server. Otherwise one user could take down the server for everyone.

My guess is that there is something on the server side that needs to be reconfigured.

We're not server admins but if you want to submit a support ticket and link to this thread we could take a quick look and see if you have either a too high or too low memory limit or anything else that looks amiss.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com