Upgrade from Artman 1 to CMS Builder

8 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 8, 2011   (RSS)

• Archived  

By svsanchez - March 23, 2011

Dear sirs:

One of my customers using Artman 1 wants to update their site, basically what we need is the following:

1. This is a recipe site and they want to allow their users to create a 'favorites' list of recipes: the user should be able to create an account and add users to their recipes book.

2. Create a 'Menu of the Week" section, where she will add the recipes for the current week, and the users will be able to browse the previous weeks menus.

3. Create a calendar of monthly events (cooking classes)
Sven Sanchez

www.deguate.com

Re: [Jason] Upgrade from Artman 1 to CMS Builder

• Archived  

By svsanchez - April 5, 2011

Thank you Jason, I am ready to start migrating from artman1 to CMS Builder. Can you please tell me how to procede?
Sven Sanchez

www.deguate.com

Re: [svsanchez] Upgrade from Artman 1 to CMS Builder

• Archived  

By Jason - April 6, 2011

Hi,

Once you get a copy of CMS Builder installed on your server, go through and set up all the sections you need with all of the fields that you see in your current article manager installation. After that you can set up your front end pages, so that the only thing you're missing is your data that's stored in article manager.

Article Manager 1 stores all of it's data in flat files, whereas CMS Builder uses a MySQL Database, so the process of getting all of that information out isn't a simple one. We can help you get your information moved over to CMS Builder through our consulting service. If you're interested in this, please email consulting@interactivetools.com and we can discuss options with you.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

• Archived  

By svsanchez - April 6, 2011

Hello Jason, I now artman1 stores data in a flat file but artman2 doesn't so it should be easier to first upgrade to artman2 then make the move to CMS?
Sven Sanchez

www.deguate.com

• Archived  

By Jason - April 7, 2011

Hi,

Yes, that is usually the process we go through. Although even moving data from art man 2 to CMS Builder is usually something we handle through consulting.

hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

• Archived  

By svsanchez - April 8, 2011

Jason, Ross: $1,500 to $3,000 to upgrade from artman1 to CMS, are you kidding me?!?!?! I use artman for my main site and I upgraded (MYSELF) from v1 to v2 without this costing me a penny, and I have more than 50 templates on my main site. It can't be that hard to go from artman2 to CMS!!! I was expecting a $150 to $300 figure not 10 times that!
Sven Sanchez

www.deguate.com

• Archived  

By Dave - April 8, 2011

Hi svsanchez,

I responded to your other thread here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=87260#87260

Basically the reason is that CMSB is a totally different program and there's no upgrade path, so we'd have to start from scratch if converting your site.

Feel free to respond and ask any questions in the other thread. Thanks!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com