CMS User Posting

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 1, 2011   (RSS)

By nmsinc - February 24, 2011

I have added a membership plug-in that will allow the user to access the CMS functions and I have a couple of questions.[/#000000]

1. Is there a way using the membership plug-in or within CMS to send the CMS administrator an email when a new user signs up? [/#000000]

2. "Article Manager" allowed for users (authors) to post news stories or update other postings and post for the editor to review prior to going live. Is there a way to modify or create new Access Levels within the User portion of the Section Editor “system_field” to handle such a function?[/#000000]

Thanks[/#000000]

Ray[/#000000]
nmsinc

Re: [nmsinc] CMS User Posting

By northernpenguin - February 24, 2011

Hi Ray:

You may want to check out a user submitted plugin
http://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/detail.php?Email-New-Account-Notification-1037 that does just that. I used it a couple of months ago as a trial and it seemed to work ok.

Good luck!

Ragi
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] CMS User Posting

By nmsinc - February 25, 2011

[font "Tahoma"]Hi Ragi,[/#000000]

[font "Tahoma"] [/#000000]

[font "Tahoma"]Thanks for the information on the Plug-in and big hand should go out to Michael Aguilar for its design. Users should be aware that this Plug-in will require some editing especially if your Field Names are set-up differently in the user section then what the Plug-in uses. These are minor edits and should not dissuade anyone form using this unique Plug-in![/#000000]

[/#000000]

However, my needs are not totally met; I’m using the Membership Plug-in to create users that will have access to the CMS to update current postings including adding images. I need to limit the users basic functions such as that found in “Article Manager”:[/#000000]

[/#000000]

1. These users should be able to access and change any file and submit the edits to the editor prior to going live.[/#000000]

2. The editor needs to be notified of the change once submitted (by email if possible) so he/she can check over the edits and mark them to go live if edits are correct.[/#000000]

[/#000000]

Any help would be appreciated![/#000000]

[/#000000]

Thanks[/#000000]

Ray[/#000000]
nmsinc

By Jason - February 25, 2011

Hi Ray,

You can definitely accomplish all of this with CMS Builder. From the sounds of it, you want to give users "author" access. If you look at the sample signup page that came with your plugin, it will give you an exmaple of how to write to the _accesslist table of the database, which is where user permissions are stored. (I attached a copy for you).

In order to be able to email an editor when a record has been created/edited you'll need to have a custom plugin. I haven't been able to find a user submitted plugin that does this yet. You can create one, perhaps using the "Email New Account Notification" plugin as a basis. Another options is to have us create a custom plugin for you. If you're interested in this, please email consulting@interactivetools.com and we can go over some options.

Finally the easiest way to hide "unapproved" records is to create a checkbox in your section that uses the special field name "hidden". Set this to be checked by default, and also set it as "admin only" so only administrators and editors can change it's value. When hidden is checked, the record will not appear on the live site.

Hope this helps get you started. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/
Attachments:

sample_signup.php 6K

Re: [Jason] CMS User Posting

By nmsinc - February 25, 2011

Hi Jason,[/#000000]

[/#000000]

Access to the field “accessList” in the Section editor for the User is blocked. It would be helpful to be able to edit this list to allow the admin to set-up specific user types and features available to each user.[/#000000]

[/#000000]

I need to setup user features to remove or permit editing, viewing, deleting postings for a given user type. So if I wanted and author to have rights to edit all postings but not have the right to delete postings I could set-up only those functions. [/#000000]

[/#000000]

It seems that this function may already be built-in, however, the rights to edit these have been blocked. If so, where can I unblock it?[/#000000]
nmsinc

By Jason - February 28, 2011

Hi,

If you login as an administrator and go into a record for a given user, you will see a field called "Section Access" which can allow you to set a permissions for all sections. If you want to have different permissions for different sections, select "By Section" from the drop down. This will then allow you to set different permissions for different sections.

Controlling whether records can be deleted or not is a setting within a section. Go into the section editor and click on the "Advanced" tab to control this. Currently, you can't grant some users the ability to delete records and not others.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Jason] CMS User Posting

By nmsinc - February 28, 2011

Hi Jason,[/#000000]

This is a new install….[/#000000]

When I followed your directions and went into the section editor I clicked on the "Advanced" tab which allowed the “accessList” open for modification – Upon clicking modify “[font "Times New Roman"]accessListthe field editor showed no settings in the “Field Options” or “Input Validation“. The “Advanced Options” had one field checked and that was the “System Field - restrict field editor access to this field”.[/#000000]

[/#000000]Not sure how the options should be entered here to allow or disallow access – any help would be appreciated![/#000000]

[/#000000]

Thanks[/#000000]Ray[/#000000]
nmsinc

By Jason - February 28, 2011

Hi Ray,

The "Section Access" (ie accessList) entries are edited through an individual user account record, not through the section editor. The "Advanced Options" tab in the section editor is for turning on/off things like "Allow Modification", "Allow Erase" option for the section. These options are for all users, you can't set them up for individual users (ie, allow some users to delete and not others).

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

By Damon - March 1, 2011

Hi Ray,

When you check the Disable Erase check box for any section, it removes the erase links for all users including Admins.

Admin > Section Editors > News - Advanced tab

To prevent users from deleting records, check the Disable Erase check box for that section.

If you need to delete a record, temporarily uncheck the Disable Erase check box, delete the records and then check the Disable Erase check box to remove the erase link again.

I will add this to our feature request list:
If Disable Erase check box checked for a section, Admins will still see the erase links while other users will not.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com