Can Admin Only Fields actually be Admin Only?

27 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 23, 2011   (RSS)

By gadefgaertgqe - February 21, 2011 - edited: February 21, 2011

pgplast: Not sure. Maybe someone else will be able to confirm. Thanks for the input!

Jason: Got that solution working today! Much appreciate the suggestion and it is a huge relief after the position I found myself in on Friday. Only one question:

Is it possible to 'wildcard' to say apply it to all sections ending in 'main'. At the moment I will have to update the plug-in every time I add a new user, and it will grow quite big as there will be as many as 150 plus entries. Here is a basic example:

// For each section, copy this block
$GLOBALS['BETA_USER_SKILL_FIELDS_CONFIG']['bobs_bikes_main'] = array(

// user's skill values and lists of fields to hide
'User' => array('domain_name','division_number'),
'Admin' => array()

);

I'm asking the question here just in case anyone else in the same position will find the answer, I know you did not write the plugin so I'll message Chris about this thread to see if he has any ideas. As soon as I know either way I can then implement the paid consulting.

Thanks for your time on this issue.

Paul

Edit: I am also open to this applying to ANY section, not just ones ending in 'main', as the specified fields are unique.

Re: [Pixels & Beats] New Additional Error occuring with above solution

By Jason - February 21, 2011

pgplast:
Are you trying to change system fields in the accounts table to "admin only"? A better solution would be to only allow admins access to the accounts table at all. Non-admin users can change their accounts record through the "My Account" link on the top left hand side.

Pixels & Beats:

Glad to hear that this is working better for you now. My understanding of the plugin is that you'd need to update the plugin everytime you added a new section, not a new user. However, I can see how this would get messy if you're needing to use it on a large number of sections. This is a very basic plugin and is not currently set up to function the way you're suggesting. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to customize it to fit your needs more closely. If you'd like us to go over some options for doing this, please send an email to consulting@interactivetools.com

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] New Additional Error occuring with above solution

By gadefgaertgqe - February 22, 2011

Hi Jason,

I found out at the end of yesterday that the plug-in is not really suitable for our needs as it is not secure, found this out when trying to modify it. This is something confirmed by Chris this morning via email. The reason for this is that it simply hides the already generated HTML. So if you look at the source of the page it is all visible. Chris kindly replied to my email and confirmed that this data could be manipulated still.

So it looks like I am at square one again.

Still no clear way of simply having a pure admin field.

I am VERY reluctantly going to have to go the way of more payed consulting for what I feel in this case is very basic / logical / core functionality. Fields only viewable / editable by an admin. Why merge it / share it with another account type?

Am I the only person who needs this? Am I using CMSB wrong? Is there something I am not aware of?

My blood pressure is rising on this subject again so I'm going to leave it here. I still think CMSB is awesome, it's just this particular subject is vexing me.

Anyone else care to comment?

By Jason - February 22, 2011

Hi,

Sorry that solution isn't working out for you. Currently, CMSB permissions are set up so that editors have access to admin fields. In order to get around this, we'll have to create a custom plugin that allows for this functionality.

The best first step would be to email consulting@interactivetools.com and we can begin going over some options.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] New Additional Error occuring with above solution

By gadefgaertgqe - February 23, 2011

Hi Jason,

I will email today. Thank you for your patience, you must dread my posts on this subject, but obviously I feel strongly about this. Hopefully we can resolve this to all our satisfaction.

Paul

By Dave - February 23, 2011

Hi Paul,

I'm just catching up on this thread.

>I am VERY reluctantly going to have to go the way of more payed consulting

I'll authorize this enhancement, so it will be either a free plugin or an upgrade to CMSB (or both). Can you send me your consulting ticket number or details to dave@interactivetools.com? I'll get it in the queue. Thanks!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com