Multiple Text Entries on Homepage - ski report

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 11, 2011   (RSS)

Re: [csdesign] Multiple Text Entries on Homepage - ski report

By gkornbluth - February 3, 2011 - edited: February 3, 2011

Hi Tina,

No matter which field or editor your data comes from, it will display in as many places in your viewer (web page) that "echo" that information.

So assume that you've got a field called "current_temp" in a single record editor called "conditions".

Each time you put:

<?php echo $conditionsRecord['current_temp'] ?> into the body of your viewer (web page), the value of that field will appear.

Of course you'll have to style that information to fit the locations.

You can use as many fields as you want to, and display them any way you want to.

I'd get the page working in HTML first.

Then I'd set up and populate the required fields in a section (possibly called conditions) with sample data.

Then I'd begin replacing the variable text (one or 2 at a time) with the database calls, upload the test page, look at it in your browser, and see where you need to "tweak" the result.

You can pull most of the code for a simple page directly from the code generator built into the admin section of your editor interface.

There's a lot more on how to understand the concepts behind PHP programming and databases, as well as some lessons which include down-loadable examples to get you started, in my CMSB Cookbook http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com

Hope that helps to unravel the mystery.

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Multiple Text Entries on Homepage - ski report

By csdesign - February 3, 2011

I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much!!

Re: [csdesign] Multiple Text Entries on Homepage - ski report

By csdesign - February 11, 2011

worked perfect. Thanks!!

My index page is not generated by the builder so the only way I could get it to work was to pull in "Step 1" from the Mountain-Stats (conditions) page and then it worked. So I'm not sure if that's right... but it did work.