CSV Import v1.02 Released (Updated Jan 24th)

20 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: March 1, 2011   (RSS)

By Dave - January 19, 2011 - edited: January 25, 2011

Hello All,

We've just released a new plugin called CSV Import:
http://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/detail.php?CSV-Import-1041

This plugin allows you to quickly create and/or update your records by uploading CSV files. If you have a lot of data to get into your CMS and can convert it to a CSV file, you can use this plugin to save hours of copy-and-paste work (or custom programming).

Even at interactivetools, doing this manually used to take us hours, especially when you need to not just add data but "sync" it (updating pre-existing records with matching SKUs, etc).

And... This plugin is cheaper than any custom importing job we've ever done. So now you can provide (and bill for) CSV importing to your clients and you can do it cheaper and faster than even us.

Let me know any questions or comments, thanks! :)

Jan 20th Update - We've released 1.01 with a small fix to the Update Duplicates option.

Jan 24th Update - We've released 1.02 and fixed bug that sometimes displayed an error when more than 25 records were being imported.

If you've already ordered you can download the latest version from the add-on store.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] CSV Import v1.00 Released

By Djulia - January 20, 2011 - edited: January 20, 2011

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this plugin!

It would be possible not to display the tables (CSV Import Data and CSV Import Jobs) in the edition of the accounts (Section Access) ?

A plugin would be also very useful to indicate the tables which should not be displayed in the list Section Access.
With several tables the reading is sometimes difficult.
That would also give the possibility of better controlling the tables that the editor (not the admin) can authorize or not.
I also use tables to make tests and I would like to hide them.

Thank you again ! :)

Djulia

By Maurice - January 20, 2011

Just bought the csv import,

but not working that great what happens

complete first line (titles) is put in 1 column.

we made a csv from a excel 2007 saved it as a cvs comma delimited got some trying all day was faster just adding by hand hahahahah.

is ther a bug in it???
-------------------------------------------

Dropmonkey.nl

Re: [Maurice] CSV Import v1.00 Released

By Dave - January 20, 2011

Hey Maurice,

Can you email me your import file to dave@interactivetools.com? I'll take a look and see what the issue is. If it's a bug we'll fix it. :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [Maurice] CSV Import v1.00 Released

By Dave - January 21, 2011

Hi Maurice,

I had a look at the files you sent. It looks like they are in a German CSV format. Which, I previously didn't know existed! :) Examples from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

US/UK CSV
Year,Make,Model,Length
1997,Ford,E350,2.34
2000,Mercury,Cougar,2.38

German CSV
Year;Make;Model;Length
1997;Ford;E350;2,34
2000;Mercury;Cougar;2,38

Can you check if your Excel can export in any other CSV formats? And do you know which format you're likely to get more of?

I can add an options for this in the code, or if it's common perhaps on the first page of the import script.

Let me know, thanks!
interactivetools.com

Re: [Djulia] CSV Import v1.00 Released

By Dave - January 21, 2011

Hi Djulia,

I'm not sure the best solution for hiding tables from the "Section Access" list. Because there might be times when you want to set the access to them.

What if a section is hidden we sort it to the bottom of the list and gray out the background? Would that help?

Or if not that, we could add an option for it to the section admin advanced tab, or a schema setting in the file, or a plugin hook to hide it. I'll have to give some thought to the best way. Let me know what you think.

Thanks! :)
interactivetools.com

By Djulia - January 24, 2011

Hi Dave,

For me the best solution would be the second proposal (like Hide Menu).

It would thus give the possibility of very easily displaying the tables according to the needs.

Thanks ! :)

Djulia

Re: [Djulia] CSV Import v1.00 Released

By Dave - January 25, 2011

Djulia,

Ok, I'll add something and send you an email to review. It will probably be after 2.07 (which we're hoping to have out tomorrow).

Thanks.
interactivetools.com

Re: [gversion] CSV Import v1.02 Released (Updated Jan 24th)

By Dave - January 31, 2011

Hi Greg,

Are you importing directly into CMSB's "category" section type? Or just a regular multi-record section type?

In either case, I've done some imports into category sections so it's certainly possible, although depending on how complicated your data is it might require some extra modifications.

Feel free to send me some more details and a sample of your data (if available) to dave@interactivetools.com and we can discuss.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com