Guidance on setting up database

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 24, 2011   (RSS)

By Joseph - January 23, 2011

Hi Guys

i am trying to set up CMSB to work for a printing website that i am building, the site will have a list of products and each product will have different prices and sizes. So i am not sure if it is best to create Section Editors for each product and then create fields for the various prices or create Section Editors for all the variables then create a Section that pull all of the variables together. I have attached an image of what i would need the outputted content to look like.

Re: [socanews] Guidance on setting up database

By Toledoh - January 23, 2011

Personally - I'd do them all separately as there would be just too many variables. But, with the new import plugin, I'd get all the data in an Excel template and manage any bulk changes with that.
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Jason - January 24, 2011

Hi,

If each product will have different sizes, and different prices per quantity, then you'd be best to separate them into different sections. This will make your system more flexible.

Here is one way you could organize it. You can have one section for a product, a section for quantities, and a section for sizes. You will then have a section you can call something like "Product Pricing". Here you create a record where you select 1 product, 1 size, and 1 quantity and then enter a price. Then when you're outputting your content, you can select all the "Product Pricing" record for a given product.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Hi,

Glad to hear that is working out for you.

You could have title be a list if you like. I don't see any immediate issue with doing that. Can you give an example of how that would be helpful and I can let you know if that would be the best approach?
interactivetools.com

Re: [Jason] Guidance on setting up database

By Joseph - January 24, 2011

I have attached what I have done so far. At the moment i am manually typing in the title but if i could use the size list then i wouldn't need to.
Joseph
Attachments:

productpricing.jpg 81K

Hi,

Okay, I see what you mean. In this case, since your title is just your size, you don't actually need a title field. You can just remove it.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com