MySQL connection errors

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 11, 2010   (RSS)

By weblm - October 8, 2010

Currently setting up a new site for a client. I have the CMS builder DB running on shared hosting at Hostgator.

I have the actual CMS builder and all the web files hosted on our own VPS server at hostgator (different accounts and servers).

I keep getting the following:

Hello, Website Visitors!

We are temporarily experiencing high website traffic or technical difficulties. Please bookmark this page and come back later.

Do you run this website?

We were unable to connect to the database, possibly because:

1. Your database settings are incorrect (check in /data/settings.dat.php)
2. Your database server is down or overloaded (check with your host)

The database error given was:
Can't connect to MySQL server on '174.xxx.xxx.110' (4)

I'm guessing this error is generated from CMS builder?

What is the error (4) mean in the last line?

The reason I'm hosting the web files on our server is because the clients primary domain that we are going to be using hasn't been moved over to hostgator....we are using the account that it will be moved to, but currently hosts another of their sites.

Their other site has virtually no traffic, and the CMS builder is their only MySQL database.

Let me know if there are any settings I can tweak in CMS builder, or if you think this is more a hosting issue. Since the client doesn't have any other MySQL servers running, I can't imagine I'm hitting an issue with Hostgator.

Thanks.

-Kevin
LM

Re: [kblm] MySQL connection errors

By Jason - October 8, 2010

Hi Kevin,

The first thing to do would be to check your MySQL settings, particularly the hostname (ie, you can't use localhost). If that's correct, then you should contact Hostgator. There is no technical reason why CMS Builder can't connect to an external database, but some hosts do not allow for database connections coming from different servers.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Jason - October 8, 2010

Hi Kevin,

The error code (4) will be something that is probably specific to your version of MySQL. You can ask Hostgator as well if they could clarify the message. It isn't a CMS Builder error code.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Dave - October 9, 2010

If you're trying to connect from one server to another, even on the some host, often they have that locked down. But otherwise we usually ask the host for the correct mysql info and what the problem is.

If they claim there isn't a problem we can write you a 2 line demo script that does nothing but try to connect to that mysql server and display the error. That usually get's hosts to sort things out.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] MySQL connection errors

By weblm - October 9, 2010

Thanks Dave.

I think we've narrowed it down to an issue on the server, nothing at this point to do with CMS Builder.

-Kevin
LM

By Dave - October 11, 2010

Ok, sounds good, thanks for the update!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com