help with content slider

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 8, 2010   (RSS)

Re: [moh3] help with content slider

By Chris - September 6, 2010

Hi moh3,

I think the solution you're looking for is a Multi Record section. You can drive a single page (your front page) with multiple sections — I do this all the time!

Often it makes sense to have a page driven by both a Single Record section and a Multi Record section. You can use the Single Record section to manage the header and footer text, etc. and the Multi Record section for your content slider items.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] help with content slider

By moh3 - September 8, 2010

thanks chris,

actually i need also to have a repeated fields code snippet
were i could add it by clicking a button and it will add more fields that i have setup before something like a code template were i would have a field for text and another for an image, the idea is to have this kind of option within one record not as a separate record, were one record will store
an array of fields that may differ from one record to another

i know there is the schema record were you use a custom section to create a new section but i'm exploring the cms builder to see how flexible it is for complex data management i believe it is but a clear explanation of the code can help advanced users to expand the software which will in return i and you will benefit from such a thing
and you really need to find a solution for choosing themes or predefined layout with a visual preview inside the cms builder which help clients to fully manage the site

thanks for your support

Re: [moh3] help with content slider

By Chris - September 8, 2010

Hi moh3,

CMS Builder is currently capable of supporting the kind of data relationship you're talking about.

The way you would model something like this in a database would be to use a one-to-many relationship between two tables: the first table would be your "records" (let's call them Articles) and the second table would be your "repeated fields" (let's call them References.) Each Article has zero or more References associated with it. For example:

Articles

num title
1 West Bengal legislative election, 2006
2 Dynamic time warping
3 Never Gonna Give You Up

References

num article source
1 2 Dynamic programming algorithm optimization for spoken word recognition
2 2 Fundamentals of speech recognition
3 3 Mike Stock Music - Biography

The first article has no references, the second has two, and the third has three.

Regardless of how your CMS software shows you the information, the "repeated fields" are actually separate records in other tables which are associated with the main record. This is how relational databases (e.g. MySQL) are designed to work.

You can accomplish this kind of relationship in CMS Builder right now by creating a List Field in your second table (read: section.) To get started with this, try out the [url http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=77230#77230]Sub-categories Tutorial[/url].

If you're still dead set on having the User Interface hide the related section from the user (making it seem like nothing more than repeated fields) this is definitely something our consulting department could build for you. Please let me know if you're interested in that and we can work out a quote for you.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. We're actually working on a "record preview" feature right now, as discussed [url http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Notice%3A_CMSB_Upcoming_Features_and_Development_Plan_P82981/]here[/url].
All the best,
Chris