Excessive resources

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 11, 2010   (RSS)

By roddruce - August 11, 2010

Hi there,

I have an urgent problem. My client just had an email from his Host about CMSBuilder using excessive resources. The details I have pasted below.

Any ideas to why this would just happen?

Cheers - Rod

================================================================================================================

Dear Client,

This is a courtesy notice from Hostingbay.com.au regarding your account [vintageracingservices.com.au]

HostingBay received below notifications in reference to your account. We found the following script is using too much server resources, please see the report below:

===================================================================================
Aug 11 13:11:32 pantheon suhosin[1395]: ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 134217728 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker '124.184.252.196', file '/home/vintager/public_html/cmsAdmin/lib/init.php', line 100)
===================================================================================

Please optimize this script, because it is using the server memory greater than it is allowed. Our current configuration allows scripts to allocate maximum 32 MB of memory. We suggest either modifying the script to utilise less memory or moving your plan over to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or Dedicated Server.

Failure to resolve this issue in the next 24 hours, we regret that we will have to get the script disabled, because it is a direct abuse of the network services and a violation of our TOS (terms of service) and AUP (acceptable user policy).

Re: [roddruce] Excessive resources

By Jason - August 11, 2010

Hi Rod,

That's a strange one. Has the client been doing anything different lately? Which version of CMS Builder are they using?

The file init.php is just used to load CMS Builder libraries and settings.

If you could provide any more details, we'll take a closer look into this issue.

Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Excessive resources

By Chris - August 11, 2010

Hi Rod,

CMS Builder tries to set its maximum allowed memory to 128 MB purely as a precautionary measure. The only time I've ever seen CMS Builder use any significant amount of memory is when it resizes (i.e. thumbnails) very large uploaded images.

Usually if a host doesn't allow scripts to request more memory, the request is silently ignored. I'm suprised that your host is complaining! From the looks of the ALERT message (i.e. the word "tried",) the software isn't actually being granted any memory, it's just creating a warning in their logs.

You can easily change this value yourself to satisfy your host's requirements. Open up cmsAdmin/lib/init.php in a text editor and look for the following line (it should be on line 100):

ini_set('memory_limit', '128M'); // raise memory limit (if allowed)

You can change this to 32 MB, which is what your host is suggesting:

ini_set('memory_limit', '32M'); // raise memory limit (if allowed)

The only drawback I can imagine is that you might run into trouble if you upload multiple enormous images at the same time. Or you might be just fine.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris