Website search

10 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 21, 2010   (RSS)

By fleff - October 14, 2009

I'm trying to set up a website where viewers can get information about services in our area such as attorneys, plumbers, restaurants, art galleries, etc. I can get it to work to list Attorneys or Architects or whatever in a section I set up for Licensed Professionals. It displays a list of businesses in each profession. But now I want to be able to specify the specialties of each separate business and to enable a viewer to search from the home page for a specialty, such as "real estate law" or "estate planning". In the case of a restaurant, "seafood" or "Italian" or whatever. So I have to get these keywords into the database somehow for each individual business -- and a search from the home page has to cover multiple sections. I have searched the forum for guidance and studied the demo example but can't figure it out. How can I do this? Thanks for your help.

Farnham

Re: [fleff] Website search

By Chris - October 14, 2009

Hi Farnham,

How about adding a new field to each of your sections called "specialty"?

One of the easiest and best ways to add search capabilities to your site is to use [url http://www.google.com/sitesearch/]Google Site Search[/url].

Please let me know if this helps or if you need a different solution.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Website search

By fleff - October 14, 2009

Thanks, Chris. I'll try the "specialty" field for each section and see if I can search all of them from one form on the home page. That would be great. I'll let you know if (when?) I get it to work.

Farnham

Re: [fleff] Website search

By Mikey - July 10, 2010

Fleff, did you ever get a site-wide search working on your site? I need to build one and can't seem to find any information on achieve a site-wide search. I don't want to use google's site search, so if you can share your solution, I'd really appreciate the help.

Zickey

Re: [zickey] Website search

By fleff - July 10, 2010

Zickey,

I haven't gotten there yet. The site still has a long way to go. There are others out there who know much more about this than I do and maybe one of them will read this and get back to you. I'm also working on another CMSB website where it's more likely I could use a site-wide search. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

fleff

Re: [equinox69] Website search

By Donna - July 19, 2010

Hi Equinox,

I'll pass that along -- but just wanted to mention that on many sites, Google is *extremely* fast: My own site is on roughly a half hour delay from Google. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Website search

By Codee - July 19, 2010

Hi Donna, are you stating that Google bot arrives at and indexes your site every half hour? Is it a classified sales site? what kind of site and are you changing the data that regularly?

Re: [equinox69] Website search

By mingyq - October 20, 2010

Any update on this? I'm in need of a Search Plugin for a current client and would rather not use Google search (additional cost, 3'rd party solutions bla bla). A Search Plugin would be perfect. Is it in the works?

MingyQ

Re: [mingyq] Website search

By Mikey - October 21, 2010

MingyQ,
Have a look at the thread below. Dave provided a nice multipleSearch.php file to help get people started building their own site side search engines. I'm using in on a few different sites and it works very nicely.

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=61466&

Zick