Creating Archive of Previous Articles

15 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 19, 2010   (RSS)

By hhusted - May 19, 2010

Okay, I can enter the articles in CMS. But to get to the articles, would it be a good idea to create a template in CMS where the year is listed. Then when the year is clicked, the results go to another page, also created in CMS detailing the months, and then when the month is clicked, another page is created in CMS with the actual article shown?

Or would this be too complicated.

Re: [hhusted] Creating Archive of Previous Articles

By Jason - May 19, 2010

Hi,

In CMS just make sure that for each article you have a field for the year and a field for the month. Once this information is in the database, we can access the information any way we like.

The way you want users to be able to access your articles is a design issue. You can set it up whichever way you like best.

For ease of use, I'd suggest displaying a link to each archived article, sorted by year, and then month. Then at the top of the page, you can give the user an option of limiting the search to a specific year and month. But this is just the way I would do it, you can set it however you like.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By hhusted - May 19, 2010

How do I sort by year and by month? Also, how can I give the user an option to limit the search to a specific year and month? Can you tell me where I can do it and can you give an example of the type of coding I would use, or at least point me in the right direction.

Re: [hhusted] Creating Archive of Previous Articles

By Jason - May 19, 2010

Hi,

The easiest way to proceed would be to first create an Article section in your CMS and enter in a couple of articles so we have something to work with.

After that, go to the code generator and generate some viewer code. This will give us a place to start.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/