Getting Noticed in Search Engines

12 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 18, 2010   (RSS)

Re: [hhusted] Getting Noticed in Search Engines

By Jason - May 17, 2010

Hi Harry,

So, from what I understand, you have a single detail page that is used to display your articles. Is that correct?

If so, that means that each article you write does not have a separate page.

A good way to get around this would be to have a listing page that listed the name of all your articles, and a link to each one. This will work even if the links look like this (articleDetail.php?1, articleDetail.php?2, etc).

Google will index these pages.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Getting Noticed in Search Engines

By hhusted - May 17, 2010

So in other words, I would have a list of article titles with a link to each one. But each link would go to a separate detail page. So link one would go to detail page one, link 2 would go to detail page 2, etc.?

Or are you just suggesting to have a detail page with all the titles and summaries with a link to the main article on one single page.

I thought that in order for Google to pick up the content, the title of the article had to be in the <title> tag?

Harry

By Jason - May 18, 2010

Hi Harry,

You would have 2 pages, for example articleList.php and articleDetail.php.

On articleList.php, you could list your article however you want. Each article you displayed on that page would link to articleDetail.php (example articleDetail.php?Article-Title-2, articleDetail.php?Article-Title-3, etc)

In this example, the name of the article and the article number is put at the end of the URL. So, the first URL will load articleDetail.php and display article number 2. The second URL will load articleDetail.php and display article number 3.

You can dynamically set the <title> of articleDetail.php to be the title of each article if you like, however, this is not necessary for Google to index a page.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
interactivetools.com

By hhusted - May 18, 2010

Take a look at this:

http://www.earthchangesmedia.com/newsite/. You will notice I set up this page as a detail page. Now click any link and you will be taken to an article page. This is how I was told to set up the articles. What I need to know, regarding SEO and search engines, is will Google be able to pick up the article on the articles page if the articles page changes with each click of a link.

Or does Google see the detail page and follow the link to the articles page. Is that how the system works?

By Jason - May 18, 2010

Hi,

Yes, you shouldn't need to change how you're displaying your articles.

What Google will do is first go to the page you sent me. It will then, in turn, go to and index each article that appears on that page. Google shouldn't have any trouble indexing your pages as they currently exist.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

I'm asking this, because when I checked Google yesterday by pasting the title of an article on the main page as you saw, Google did not list it. Any ideas why?

By Jason - May 18, 2010

Hi,

Google is indexing your site. If you go into google and type in "Pair Of Bering Sea Earthquakes May Cause West Coast Sea Level Changes" with quotation marks around it, your article came up number 6.

I think the problem your seeing is that there is so much information out there with the same name, it's just buried down the list. For example "The Supernovae Of Triangulum" returns over 4500 results.

Hope this helps.
interactivetools.com

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to ask this question. When you go to www.earthchangesmedia.com/newsite/ and you see how the entire site is layed out. I saw your demo site and would like to know how I can use CMS Builder to create the entire website instead of just one section. Right now I have CMS code located at the middle. Can I use CMS Builder to create the entire website, including the logos and images and placement of all boxes and content?