What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

22 posts by 9 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: May 28, 2012   (RSS)

By Codee - January 20, 2010

IT,
What about building a sitemap generator plugin and have it output to 3 or 4 types of sitemap options:

urllist.txt
sitemap.html
sitemap.xml and/or sitemap.xml.gz
ror.xml

Wouldn't this be a "relatively" simple set up for you? Having it integratable with CMSB it would be easier and more manageable, and probably handle large lists (database driven).

Re: [equinox69] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By Chris - January 22, 2010

Hi equinox69,

That's an interesting idea.

We're working on a plugin to dynamically harvest Viewer URLs right now for SEO purposes. Theoretically, we could use the code we develop writing that plugin (which is still in the design phase) to build a site map plugin.

Stay tuned! :)
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By Codee - January 22, 2010

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Interesting, too, I've asked on several occasions for a simple URL generator (for SEO and advertising purposes). How far out are you on this plugin? I'm MORE than interested.

Re: [equinox69] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By Chris - January 25, 2010

Hi equinox69,

It's still very much in the design phase. We'll let you know when it becomes available for beta or alpha testing! :D
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By InHouse - March 4, 2010

I'd like to put in a vote to support this function also. I dabbled with creating one myself but the issue really stalled when I realized that I had to grab the real world URLs for the content and not just the internal pointers from CMSB.

This would be a Must Have plug-in for me.

Jayme

Re: [InHouse] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By Dave - March 17, 2010

Hi Jayme,

We've got a system live on this site right now that auto-detects and adds urls. It works great because it can adapt to any website, except for the issue of hacker urls showing up such as:

/about/index.php?kat=http://[hacker-domain]/modules/mod_sections/id1.txt???

There's lots of automated scanners constantly checking websites for known vulnerabilities.

So we're still working on how to detect the valid urls, and somehow ignore the invalid urls.

I'll keep you updated on our progress.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By InHouse - March 17, 2010

Wonderful. Thanks Dave. I'll be excited to see what you come up with!
J.

Re: [Dave] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By aev - March 18, 2010

Dave,

There's lots of automated scanners constantly checking websites for known vulnerabilities.

this got me a bit worried, maybe this would be great topic to cover in an upcoming newsletter. A bit more on how this threat works and how your customers (me/us) can protect their CMSB installations from this.

..or simply explain it here if that is more convenient.

-aev-

Re: [aev] What about Plugin for SiteMap Generation?

By Donna - March 18, 2010

Hi there!

Well, there's nothing dangerous about people *looking* for vulnerabilities. It's only when they find them that there's a problem. :)

There are no known vulnerabilities with CMS Builder, so at the moment that's not an issue. These scans (like the one Dave mentioned above) are usually directed at specific software, especially older versions of things like Wordpress and phpBB that had plenty of known security holes. In fact, I *cough* let my own site get hacked once by forgetting that I had an old version of Wordpress on a disused domain.

Anyway, the best way to guard against that? Always make sure your software is as up to date as possible, even those old sites that you don't think about too often. :)

Again, CMS Builder has no known vulnerabilities, and if there were we would patch it ASAP and recommend upgrades for everybody immediately. As of yet, that's never happened. We try to be pretty meticulous about that.
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com