By weblinks - March 17, 2010

Re: [weblinks] POST ONCE TO 2 DIFFERENT SECTION EDITORS

• Archived  

By gkornbluth - March 17, 2010

Could you post your question again?

The post was blank.

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] POST ONCE TO 2 DIFFERENT SECTION EDITORS

• Archived  

By weblinks - March 17, 2010

Posting MESSAGE again... How it was blank the first time I do not know.

[font "Times New Roman"]POST ONCE TO 2 DIFFERENT SECTION EDITORS[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]CMS Builder v1.23... I do not wish to upgrade![/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"] [/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]Please read the entire text... [/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]I need to allow a User [Advertiser] to post text and photo in a Section Editor... and have this SINGLE POSTING ... ALSO post to another [different] Section Editor....[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]EXAMPLE: I wish to have "Advertiser A" post to a Section Editor such as "manchester_lodging" AND, also have this same posting appear in a Section Editor such as "southernvermont_lodging"... WITHOUT the User having to enter all of the info over again in the 2nd Section Editor. The end result being that this single ad, created ONCE, appears in both Section Editors output.[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]We need to do this in many different areas...eg... a posting in "springfield_lodging" must also appear in "centralvermont_lodging.[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]Please reply asap.[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]Regards,[/#000000]

[font "Times New Roman"]Bob T.[/#000000]

• Archived  

By gkornbluth - March 17, 2010 - edited: March 17, 2010

Hi Bob,

There have been a number of really important features added since 1.23, like automatic database backups, and much more. An upgrade to 2.03 would only take a few minutes, and the cost would be up to your generosity, but that's up to you.

Some thoughts.

The information fields in a section editor (table) can be displayed in any number of viewers (web pages) simultaneously.

I haven't worked out the entire logic, but you might want to include a checkbox field or a multi-value list field in each of your existing editors that let you choose where a particular advertisement is to be listed.

If it's realistic, you might want to set up one "advertising" section with a multi value list field that says show in all viewers with checked values, and the User could check which one were applicable. That might simplify things a little.

Then you could work out "if" statements in your viewers (pages) to test for the existence of the checked values and display the field information if they were checked.

There might be a more elegant solution, but those the ones I can think of at the moment.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] POST ONCE TO 2 DIFFERENT SECTION EDITORS

• Archived  

By Chris - March 17, 2010

Hi Bob,

There are probably many ways to accomplish what you're after, but duplicating data is tricky and fraught with problems. If you can explain exactly what you want the end result to be, we can offer potential solutions.

Based on what you've explained above, how about this:

Combine your "manchester_lodging" and "southernvermont_lodging" sections (as well as any other _lodgings sections) into a single section: "lodging". You can add a field called "location" to the lodging section, make it a "list field", set it to "multi value" (you can use checkboxes or a list), then supply a list of locations that your users will be able to pick from. That way, they can create one record which will "belong" to both manchester and southernvermont.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] POST ONCE TO 2 DIFFERENT SECTION EDITORS

• Archived  

By weblinks - March 18, 2010

Sorry.. but I'm really confused with some of the answers above....[/#ff0000]

"The information fields in the section editor (table) can be displayed in any number of viewers (web pages) simultaneously."[/#ff0000]

Are you saying that if I merely place the address of another webpage in the "Viewer Form" [print screen image attached], what currently appears on the first viewer [web page] listed will automatically ALSO be displayed on the 2nd web page listed under Viewer URL... e.g.... manchesterlodgingList.php, southernvermontlodgingList.php [/#000000]WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING FURTHER EXCEPT CLICKING ON SAVE????? I tried this and it obviously doesn't work?[/#000000]

Please note that [Example Only] I not only want to display that which is on the manchesterlodging.php page on the southernvermontlodging.php page... I wish to display THE RESULTS ON OTHER LODGING PAGES [e.g. springfieldlodging.php] ALSO on the southernvermontlodging.php page... TOGETHER with the results from the manchesterlodging.php page.[/#ff0000]

Further... above... there was a suggestion to COMBINE SECTIONS... How, if I have no other choice????[/#000000]

In short.. I will have maybe 25 different "lodging pages" [by town].. but, I ALSO wish to have them appear [as appropriate] on our Northern Vermont Lodging, Central Vermont Lodging, and Southern Vermont lodging pages.[/#000000]

Sorry if I have made the above more confusing.[/#000000]

Regards,[/#000000]

Bob[/#000000]

I would very much like to accomplish this with the least amount of work possbile.. and as simply as possible.[/#000000]

• Archived  

FORGOT TO SEND PRINT SCREEN WITH PRIOR POSTING... SEE ATTACHED... USED WEDDINGS.php as example.
Attachments:

viewer_printscreen.png 224K

• Archived  

By Chris - March 18, 2010

Hi Bob,

I would very much like to accomplish this with the least amount of work possbile.. and as simply as possible.

Always the goal. :) Of course, sometimes you can save yourself a lot of work in the long-run by figuring out a slightly more complicated solution.

WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING FURTHER EXCEPT CLICKING ON SAVE????? I tried this and it obviously doesn't work?

Saving just updates the database. Depending on how your viewers are configured, making a single change to the database can update any number of pages on your website, in many ways.

Please note that [Example Only] I not only want to display that which is on the manchesterlodging.php page on the southernvermontlodging.php page... I wish to display THE RESULTS ON OTHER LODGING PAGES [e.g. springfieldlodging.php] ALSO on the southernvermontlodging.php page... TOGETHER with the results from the manchesterlodging.php page.

So, all of your ___lodging.php pages should display the same thing? Or at least, the same records but in different ways? Maybe you could mock up a static page so I can see what you want the results to look like?

In short.. I will have maybe 25 different "lodging pages"

You can have all 25 pages fed off the same section. You might even be able to get away with a single viewer serving the content for all 25 lodging "pages".

Here's what I recommend doing:

1. Try creating a new section called Lodgings with a "list field" called "Location" - make it multi-value (checkboxes). Enter your 25 locations as the options for the field.

2. Create a few sample records in the section (with at least one record having a location of Manchester.)

3. Generate a list viewer for your new section and save it.

4. Go to your viewer with ?location=manchester

Voila - your one viewer is capable of generating pages with lists of the lodgings for each of your 25 locations.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

• Archived  

Chris....

I'll try to make it more clear!

Your Comment... So, all of your ___lodging.php pages should display the same thing? Or at least, the same records but in different ways? Maybe you could mock up a static page so I can see what you want the results to look like? [/#000000][/#ff0000]

No! I DO NOT want all of the php pages to display the same thing. I want the listings on each of the TOWN LODGING PAGES to ALSO APPEAR on ONE of the THREE following pages.. NORTHERN VERMONT LODGING, CENTRAL VERMONT LODGING, or SOUTHERN VERMONT LODGING pages... In other words if ABC COUNTRY INN is located in Manchester Vermont and listed on our manchesterlodging.php... I want the content of this SAME LISTING to appear on a page titled southernvermontlodging.php A lodging establishment called ZZZ Country Inn located in Woodstock Vermont would also be listed on our page titled centralvermontlodging.php ... along with any other Inn located in Central Vermont.[/#000000][/#ff0000]

I'll be happy to phone you so that maybe we can get this done.... I've been working on this for 2 days and need to get these pages up.... Just give me the phone number.[/#000000][/#ff0000]

ALSO... Please tell me what you are referring to as VIEWER... I presume you are talking about the php web page the listing is to appear on???? If so, I upload my test page to the server on Earthlink and view it???? Please tell me what should go in the Viewer Url tab... is this part of my problem?[/#ff0000]

As an example of what I wish to do please look at http://www.linkvermont.com/skierlodging_stratton.php and presume that I want these listings [generated by your CMS] to ALSO appear on a page titled ALL VERMONT SKI AREAS... allvermontskiareas.php[/#000000][/#ff0000]

Best,[/#000000][/#ff0000]

Bob[/#000000]

[/#ff0000]