User Accounts - Access Levels

8 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 15, 2010   (RSS)

By studio-a - November 26, 2008

I wanted to ask if it is possible to assign a Manager User admittance to the User Accounts section *without* providing full Admin privileges within the Admin Section?

My interest for this feature is three fold:

01. Protect the client from possibly damaging the website functionality.
02. Allow our clients to better manager their website by adding, editing and deleting user accounts when delegating their employees’ online duties.
03. Provide my company residual income when our clients want additional features, sections, and functionality added to their website (yet never revealing to our clients the full CMS functionality).

IF the FIRST feature is not possible or difficult to implement, is it possible to at least allow the individual user to update their own password and email address without granting Admin Level access? The second request will provide my company (the developer) the opportunity to create a number of default user accounts for our clients (the website manager) to distribute as needed and still allow the individual user (the client’s employee) to customize their password and/or password retrieval. This second request will be sufficient for now, ultimately my original interest would be better.

Of course, in the second request, if a user’s account needs to be removed (client’s employee quits or is terminated) the website manager (our client) will have to request my company (the developer) to change the email address and password for them.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Re: [studio-a] User Accounts - Access Levels

By aev - November 27, 2008

I totally agree with studio-a's request, these features would be great to have.

In addition we often create special fields with the attribute 'Admin only', and we don't want our clients to see those fields, but they want to control users. We can't do both today.

-aev-

By Dave - November 27, 2008

Hi studio-a,

I'm working on something very similar to this that I may be able to complete for the next release. Check back in a week or two and I'll let you know where I'm at with it (if we haven't released already).

Thanks.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] User Accounts - Access Levels

By roddruce - January 14, 2010

Have the features suggested by studio-a been implemented or in part? I am working on a contract to build multiple websites for a nation wide company and wish to use CMS Builder, but the Admin panel has to be well out of harms way of users.

Rod

Re: [roddruce] User Accounts - Access Levels

By Dave - January 14, 2010

Hi Rod,

Yes, the "User Accounts" section was moved out of the Admin a long time ago. So you can safely lock off access to Admin and your clients will still be able to do anything they need to do.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [roddruce] User Accounts - Access Levels

By studio-a - January 15, 2010

Hi Rod,

Having the admin panel hidden from the manager and other editor users is REALLY a great feature and we are successfully creating CMS websites under our brand name.

Another “additional feature” sold as a “plug in” is the membership capability (see link: http://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/). We haven’t bought it yet, but plan to this month (Jan 2010). CMS builder is a great tool and has helped our designers move beyond static website production and expand our market without too much expense per project. More importantly is the excellent forum support!

Thanks Interactive Tools and congratulations on your 11th year in business!

studio-a

By roddruce - January 15, 2010

Hi Studio-a,

You provide very good feedback and encouragement. I do own a copy of CMS Builder 1.27 for a private project and Dave did some customization for me.

But events have changed with so many of my clients wanting specific website features. In the past I have used umpteen scripts to make their websites just right, an awful lot of work for the return. But I do see now, after reading many posts, how CMS Builder will make my client's websites so much easier to build.

I am working literally 16 hours a day to revamp my business and to head in a different direction. All is going well.

And yes the support here is second to none. I belong to many forums and the only one other that offers the same level of support as here is where I buy most of my scripts.

Cheers - Rod