Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

7 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 6, 2010   (RSS)

By benedict - January 9, 2010

Hi guys,

Just wanted to bring attention to a feature that is not currently available that has been a deal breaker on a few projects over the past year, namely page previewing without publishing.

More and more clients want to write content beforehand (which they currently do using the "hidden" feature) but they want to see what the page looks like prior to launch and are very nervous about content going live without seeing any potential problems first. I know you have the preview feature available for List Viewers, but if the page is hidden, it does not show up here.

Any plans for this in the near future? It's a feature I see in a lot of other CMS' (expressionengine, modx, etc.) but I would always rather use your product first.

While I'm asking, a versioning feature coupled with could also be cool. So if a client wants to see what a page might look like with a different banner, or with a new section like Events running down the side of the page, they can see it without me having to setup the site on a testserver again for them to look.

P.S. Happy New Year!

Re: [benedict] Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

By Dave - January 10, 2010

Hi benedict,

Thanks for letting us know that's important for your clients.

There's been some technical challenges that have been slowing that one down but both previewing and versioning are on our list.

If you run into any issues that are deal-breakers please let us know (post or email me directly) because we can often come up with something to make it work.

One possible workaround is to setup a detail viewer for previews and use this option that ignores the hidden flag and shows records even if they are hidden:

'ignoreHidden' => true, // don't hide records with hidden flag set

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [gkornbluth] Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

By Dave - January 12, 2010

Hi Jerry,

That's a neat idea. The only challenge with that is it would only work on the same domain as the CMSB install since login session are stored in cookies and cookies aren't readable across different domains.

Either way, we've had a number of requests for enhanced preview functionality so I've scheduled it for an upcoming release so we should see it soon.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

By pod9 - May 7, 2010

It sounds like this preview feature would work for me but I'm not sure how to implement it?

Where do I put:

'ignoreHidden' => true[/#000000]
Pod9

Re: [pod9] Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

By Jason - May 11, 2010

Hi,

The line:
'ignoreHidden'=>true,

goes where you're selecting your records. It would look something like this:

list($listingsRecords,$listingsMetaData)=getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'listings',
'ignoreHidden'=>true,
));

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Feature Request: Preview prior to go live

By sublmnl - December 6, 2010

I'm voting for that one.
I can see the becoming an issue in the future.
Don't know why I didn't think of that having used enterprise level CMS before and that is like...standard.
[cool]