Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By pothompson - December 18, 2009

I understand that it's possible to have login only content with the new Website Membership Add-on, but can you let me know if it's possible to access uploaded files that are within login only pages without logging in?

I can see that the page content itself can be protected, but would like to know if an uploaded file can be protected using this Add-on. i.e. If a visitor was to guess the correct URL of an uploaded file, would there be something that prevented them downloading it if they weren't logged in?

Thanks, Paul.

Re: [pothompson] Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By Donna - December 18, 2009

Hi there,

Uploaded files (images, etc) wouldn't be protected. CMS Builder can only control PHP based files with appropriate code, so non-PHP pages would still be accessible regardless, if they knew the full URL.

You'd need to have something server side, such as an .htaccess password protection, or something directory-wide to require a password for non-CMS Builder files. :)

I hope this helps!
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [pothompson] Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By Dave - December 18, 2009

Hi Paul,

No, the plugin doesn't do that automatically. But it's possible. How you would do it is to write a little script to output the uploaded file, but only if a user was logged in.

Something like this: showMemberOnlyFile.php?filename.pdf

If that's the only thing holding you back go ahead and get the plugin and I'll help you write that little add-on script and we can test it on your site and include it in the next revision.

You can email me additional details to dave@interactivetools.com

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By Djulia - December 19, 2009

Hi Dave,

Your plugin is very useful ! Thanks

It would be possible to ask a confirmation by email with a link for to validate the account (and the email) of the user ?

It is very useful for to validate an account.

Djulia

Re: [Djulia] Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By Dave - December 20, 2009

Hi Djulia,

We've done it that way before, but it's a bit complicated. Here's the steps:

- add user account fields for "isVerified" and "verificationKey"
- generate a random verificationKey when you create the account
- email the user with it including a link to a validation script
- the script checks for users with that key and sets isVerified to 1
- add some code to the website or websiteMembership.php to not allow access unless verified
- add some code to resent verification email on request

What if we just generated a random password for the user when they signed up and emailed it to them?

Then we had an "edit your profile" page where they could change their password?

I think that would be simpler. And it would still validate their email (since they wouldn't be able to login without receiving the password.

Would that work for you?
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By Djulia - December 21, 2009

Hi Dave,

> [font "Verdana"]What if we just generated a random password...
The idea is to check the email. Also, your approach seems perfect !

Djulia

Re: [Djulia] Website Membership Add-on

• Archived  

By Dave - December 23, 2009

Hi Djulia,

Ok, I should be able to have an update for this next week and then you can help me beta test it. :) I'll just email you direct for that.

Thanks!
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By depdesign - December 29, 2009

Hi Dave, Can you send me an update too. In addition, is there a way I can setup the registration to have the username be the email address? It just eliminates some confusion with a user logging in. Thanks. [;)]
Dan Perez