error msg: "table name already in use"

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 7, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [Deborah] error msg: "table name already in use"

By Dave - December 4, 2009

Hi Deborah,

Did we do any custom coding on that install or is it a default one?

You can get the "table name already in use" if a mysql table exists that has the same name, even if it's not being used by CMS Builder. This is to prevent CMS Builder from interfering with other programs that have mysql tables on the server.

Are you able to create the table with another name?

Another possibility might be that there was an error when creating the section and the MySQL table got created but not the schema and now because the MySQL table is left behind it won't let you use the same name.

We actually have a new free plugin that works with v2.0 called MySQL Console that lets you run MySQL commands if that would help. You can download it from the App Store.

In any case, there's some ideas. Let me know if any of that helps or if you'd like us to investigate further.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] error msg: "table name already in use"

By Deborah - December 4, 2009

Hi, Dave.

No custom coding. This was just a usual CMSB install for me.

I seem to remember some glitch with completion of the entry of the "Calendar" editor initially, but was not focusing on that at the time. It should have either "saved" or not. However, from what I'm experiencing, it saved something to the database, but not to the CMS Builder files. I believe this database is independent of anything else on the state system, so there shouldn't be a naming conflict.

We actually have a new free plugin that works with v2.0 called MySQL Console that lets you run MySQL commands if that would help.

Are you suggesting that it might be beneficial for me to upgrade to 2.0, install the plugin, and then attempt to clean up the database? (I'm not a database expert, but am willing to give it a try.) I had planned to upgrade this client to 2.0 anyhow.

I am mostly concerned that I'll be building a new site on a "shaky foundation". If I can clean this up now, I'd feel better.

Thanks again.
Deborah

By rconring - December 6, 2009

That happened to me also when I was using IE6. It created the table, but did not save the schema. I tried to add the table again and got the "table already exists" error. I pulled out some hair before I found the problem.
I went into phpMyAdmin and looked at the database. Sure enough, the table I had created was there, so I simply deleted it, went back into cmsAdmin and re-created it.
If you do not have access to your server, then you will need to upgrade and install the console plugin.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

Re: [rconring] error msg: "table name already in use"

By Deborah - December 6, 2009

Ron,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was using either IE8 or Firefox 3 when this "erroneous table added" error occurred for me. Based on what you've told me, I'll go ahead and upgrade this client's site to the latest version of CMS Builder, install the plugin, and attempt to repair the database.

Thanks again for posting.
Deborah

By Dave - December 7, 2009

I recommend the latest version as well. And it's always nice to cleanup old tables (that's what I would do). But if you don't it will be fine as well. It's really just a safety feature in the software that if it's not sure if it created a table it won't overwrite or change it.

Let me know if you have any other problems or need anything else.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] error msg: "table name already in use"

By Deborah - December 7, 2009

Dave,

I installed the upgrade and the MySQL Console plugin and was able to drop the table. I also recreated the "calendar" section editor and all is well! [:)] I am grateful for the new plugin.

It's good to know for future reference that what I experienced is just a "safety feature" and no cause for panic.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Deborah