Featured Article

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 1, 2009   (RSS)

By design9 - December 1, 2009

Hello,
I wanted to see if you could guide me in the right direction.

I have an article section with articles that are feeding into various categories (Pregnancy, Elementary Years, Preschoolers, etc.) On each main category page, I feed the articles for that topic on a page by using a where statement. I need to have a featured article section on the page that will be a section that shows 3 featured articles that shows the thumbnail photo, title and summary. This information pulls from the articles section in my backend that I have already built. I am trying to figure out a way to get the featured articles to pull in on the page. I didn't think I could use another where statement since I am already using one on the page to pull in all articles that relate the main topic for that page. Need to figure out a good way to get these features to pull into the page.
I also need to set up these features so they can expire on a certain date so the user doesn't have to manually delete them each month. Need to figure out a way to set that as well. Also, I need these features to pull in from the articles section that is already built and need to figure out a way to pull in a specific article (id# ?) into the features area. This way the user would not have to re-type the article on the main page.

Here is an example of the main page design: the featured area in the middle with the 3 photos, title and summary text and the articles that pull in are at the bottom (this area is working/has php coding).
http://www.carolinaparent.com/test/elementary.php

Thank you,
April

Re: [apdance9] Featured Article

By gkornbluth - December 1, 2009 - edited: December 1, 2009

Hi April,

I think that the this post http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Featured_Article_P75312 might give you a head start.

Do you want the article to disappear from the site or just the featured status to disappear ?

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Featured Article

The link you sent is partly helpful but not exactly what I need.

I only want the featured article section to expire on a specific date entered. I don't want the entire article to disappear. I had originally had a checkbox set up within the articles section but quickly realized that would not work because the entire article would expire. Also, that didn't work because I have it set up so a single article could be assigned to appear on multiple category pages and the featured box didn't work here because it would show up on all those categories page instead of the one I wanted.

I just need to figure out a better way to handle this directly on the page so the features area can expire when entered and how to pull an article from the section I already have set-up. Don't know the best way to make this happen.

Thanks!
April

Re: [gkornbluth] Featured Article

Thanks. I may not need an expiration date now. The featured article that feeds in could just be changed by the user when a new one is ready if it is on the main page. They actually will not need to be changed monthly like I thought, just when the user is ready to have a new article in the slot. So, I think they can just change the article when they are ready

The issue now is how to feed in a selected article from my articles section into the featured section. I need to feed in the photo, title and summary from a specific article. I don't know the best way to get in a specific article or article id number. That is where I am now stumped.

Thanks!
April