Issues with Backup Plugin.

By willydoit - October 8, 2009

Hi all,

I suspect that my install of cms builder which was purchased as the Instant website may be already out of date as I found discrepancies in the install docs for the backup software and my install, for example my plugins folder is located within the lib sub folder as opposed to off the root folder which I understand is indicated by the install instructions, also I did not have a backups folder by default but have created one manually.

I have installed and activated the plugin but despite making test changes to a couple of the sections I am not seeing any backup created, as such I do not believe that it is working as it should, how can I best test the operation of the install?

As the backup files apear to be php files according to the readme files can I assume that a restore of the data would simply be a case of navigating to the appropriate php file in a browser and the data is automatically restored? If this is the case should we ftp and remove these backup files from the server as a security precaution?

Thanks in advance, this facility if we can get it working will add much needed peace of mind for us who are not sql savvy.

Re: [willydoit] Issues with Backup Plugin.

By Dave - October 9, 2009

Hi willydoit,

Yes the newest plugins need the newest CMS Builder. We do intend to update the Instant products as well though. Perhaps the quickest way to upgrade right now might be for us to just swap your license from Instant to CMSB. If you want to do that just email orders@interactivetools.com and they'll sort it out for you.

Backup files need to be restored through the CMS interface (just above the backup button). These will appear in the latest version in: Admin > General Settings.

The files have a .php extension as an extra security measure to prevent them from being downloaded. The file contents is actually SQL. We also have an .htaccess file in that folder set to deny web access.

The first line of the backup files looks like this:
-- <?php die('This is not a program file.'); exit; ?>

The -- part tell MySQL to ignore that line and the php part tells php to display that message and exit.

Hope that helps, any other questions just let me know!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Issues with Backup Plugin.

By willydoit - October 14, 2009

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your recent help, just a quick question, although hoping that it will never be required will there be an addon which will restore the database in the event of corruption etc?

Thanks