Simple search reset

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 22, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [InHouse] Simple search reset

By Chris - September 22, 2009

There can be many, but you probably only want one most of the time. There's nothing stopping you from enabling search on multiple viewers on the same page, but there are many cases where it wouldn't make sense.

Consider a page that displays a site-wide navigation menu (from a viewer) and a list of products (also from a viewer). If the visitor is searching for products, you wouldn't want the user's search criteria to filter the navigation menu! That's what the "Filter results based on search form input" option is for.

I hope this clears things up. I'll try to think of some better wording for that option.

Once you've done a bunch of searches and you're left with few or zero results, is there a proscribed way to reset the search parameters? FYI, my search form is on the same page as the results. Right now I've just added a text link below the form which reloads the whole page. Is there a better way?

While there's nothing wrong with a link, aesthetically you may want to use a button instead. Often that's as simple as creating a second <form>:

<input type="submit" value="Search" />
</form>
<form action="?">
<input type="submit" value="Reset" />
</form>

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any more questions. :)
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Simple search reset

By InHouse - September 22, 2009

Perfect. I tried the reset option but not as as discrete form. Works like a charm!
Thank you once again.
J.