Can CMSB generate all my pages dynamically?

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 18, 2009   (RSS)

By lterenzi - September 17, 2009

Hey guys!

I have a site I am working on where EVERY page (only 25 or so) are based off of the exact same template. Before I go and make 25 pages and link them up etc. Is there anyway to tell CMSB to use this template and just spill in the content from the different section editors?

If so, how would I handle the coding the navigation?

Thanks
Lenny
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
graphic design • web development • blog
--
lenny@heymonkeydesign.com
919•279•3301
--
web: www.heymonkeydesign.com
twitter: @heymonkeydesign

Re: [lterenzi] Can CMSB generate all my pages dynamically?

By gkornbluth - September 17, 2009

Hi Lenny,

The simple answer is yes, but the devil is always in the details.

It would be helpful if you could supply some more of those details and let us know exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Can CMSB generate all my pages dynamically?

What sort of details? It is a cookie cutter brochure website where all pages are based of the same template. Just spilling in different content on each page. Not sure what other details you need.

Thanks!
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
--
919•279•3301
--

Re: [lterenzi] Can CMSB generate all my pages dynamically?

By gkornbluth - September 17, 2009

Just trying to help and the idea of a brochure site makes what you're looking for much clearer..

You could easily create a multi-record editor in CMSB, create a record for each brochure page and then link to each page. Then, your client would be able to add brochure pages, automatically (or manually) hide pages them from the site based on various criteria (date, check box, etc) and visitors to the site could perform many search functions fairly easily.

Best,

Jerry
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Awesome Thanks Jerry! Sorry of my response came off cold. Not meant that way at all. Just truly wanted to know what other details you needed. Let me start poking around from here and see where I get. Thanks again!
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
--
919•279•3301
--

By Chris - September 18, 2009 - edited: September 19, 2009

If you end up needing to use multiple viewers, includes are great for cookie cutting. I often split a template into two halves where the content would go, call them "header.inc" and "footer.inc", and include them from my viewer files.

My viewer files end up being nice and concise:

<?php
// INSERT STEP 1 CODE
?>

<?php include "header.inc"; ?>

<!-- INSERT STEP 2 CODE -->

<?php include "footer.inc"; ?>

That said, if it makes sense for you to use one section, don't make things more complicated than they need to be! :)
All the best,
Chris