using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

8 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 30, 2011   (RSS)

By gagester - August 18, 2009

Hello all,

Will i regret using the ip address in the initial setup window for the "Domain Name"?

Or will it not cause me any headaches later?

(We're still waiting on the client to get the domain name servers redirected to the new host that i have access to. I'd like to get the cms implemented NOW...)

thoughts?

Re: [Donna] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By gagester - August 18, 2009

excellent.

thanks!

Re: [gagester] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By gkornbluth - August 20, 2009

Hi,

Just a note...

Even though CMSB and your code will work with IP addresses, it's a good idea to change to domain names in both the CMSB setup, in any other code on your pages, and in your 3rd party utility setups.

I used to use IP addresses when coding and I once got into a great deal of trouble when my web host upgraded their servers and my client's assigned IP addresses changed.

The web host took care of migrating my files, but I was left with a pot full of IP addresses that I had to find and then replace.

This would be also an issue if you ever changed web hosts or upgraded your hosting service to VPS.

Just a thought.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth

Learn more... Do more...
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By Mikey - June 29, 2011

Even though CMSB and your code will work with IP addresses, it's a good idea to change to domain names in both the CMSB setup, in any other code on your pages, and in your 3rd party utility setups.

Jerry are you saying that if you install using the IP Address, that the IP address will be applied to the 3rdParty scripts in the CMS Builder install folder?

Or is it just a matter of updating the "Admin > General Settings" and any webpage header PHP code generated from CMS Builder while the IP Address is still applied to the General Setting?

Re: [zick] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By Dave - June 30, 2011

Hi Zick,

I can't think of much anything in the program that is hardcoded anymore, so I don't think you'll have a problem with this.

So aside from not creating hard-coded links that include a temporary IP address, you should be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions about that.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By Mikey - June 30, 2011

COOL!
Thanks Dave...

Re: [zick] using ip address instead of domain name in initial setup/install

By gkornbluth - June 30, 2011

Hi Zick,

Sorry I didn't see you previous post.

My comment had less to do with CMSB then it had with my site's operation in general.

When I originally set up the site I mentioned, there was already a live site using the domain name, so I used my new site's IP address wherever I needed a hard coded link.

After my site went live, my web host changed IP addresses on me, and here were many (non CMSB) things that didn't resolve correctly.

Just something to keep in mind.

Jerry
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php