displaying articles in more than one section??

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 7, 2009   (RSS)

By isdoo - August 5, 2009

Hi,

Okay - I really need to display my articles in more than one section.

Whilst this should be fairly simple - it isn't :(

I have a series of leagues, and depending upon which league is selected it then shows the teams within that league.

Whilst it is optional to select a team, it is impossible to select more than one team as it is as a drop-down.

The problem I have is that quite often the news article will relate to more than one team.

Therefore my question is 'How can I select more than team, whilst still having teams displaying automatically relating to each league?'

With 800+ teams I can't display them in one list.

Or is there another way?

Thanks.

Re: [isdoo] displaying articles in more than one section??

By Chris - August 5, 2009

Hi isdoo,

It sounds like you want to assign News articles to multiple Teams. Does the following forum post help?

http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Multiple_Categories_P73483/

If not, can you explain what you mean by having teams displaying automatically relating to each league? Do you have an internet accessible site available so we can see how you've got things currently set up?

Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [isdoo] displaying articles in more than one section??

By Moonworks - August 6, 2009 - edited: August 6, 2009

OK, first off, I rarely know what I am talkign about, always looking things up to know what to do [:)]

Wouldn't you be able to have a checkbox in your page called league, and if a team is in league 3, then check the league 3 box?

When you are on your actual page, you could use the search function like this?

http://www.yoursite.com/whateverpage.php?league=3

That way, you can have various checkboxes, pull-downs or whatever, and the one file can be in multiple sections.
High quality residential training for writers, actors & Film Making - Click Here for further information

Re: [Moonworks] displaying articles in more than one section??

By Chris - August 6, 2009

Hi isdoo,

I'm afraid the trick you're using to avoid displaying 800 teams in a list box doesn't play well with assigning news items to multiple teams.

One possible solution would involve creating more "league" and "team" fields in your News section. If you create fields for "league2" and "team2", then set them up just like "league" and "team", you can assign a news item to two teams. You'll need to update any queries you have to check both fields, and that might not be a trivial job. This idea could be extended by adding more fields.

I hope this answers your question!
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] displaying articles in more than one section??

By isdoo - August 7, 2009

so the only practical way is to double up on articles :(