What is the easiest website editor to use with CMS Builder?

6 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 13, 2009   (RSS)

By AussieT - July 6, 2009

Hi everyone, I am just wondering which program you find easiest to use for editing/developing your CMSB websites?

I have tried using Dreamweaver on an older site (I bought) which uses the early versions of ListingManager. But I found it very confusing to find the correct places to make changes when I need to edit the pages.

I have MS Frontpage and I can find my way around it easily, but I have not tried it with CMSB

Any suggestions?

Tom

Re: [AussieT] What is the easiest website editor to use with CMS Builder?

By isdoo - July 7, 2009

Personally I use ultraedit, sometimes I will toss the code (or parts of it) into dreamweaver.

I also use beyond compare a lot to copy chunks of data between pages - very simple.

By ross - July 7, 2009 - edited: July 7, 2009

Hi there.

We actually use UltraEdit as well. It's a great text based editor. Keep in mind that it's text based so you won't be doing any of your design work there. Some of us in the office also use Komodo Editor. It's another text based program. If you are using a Mac, Text Wrangler is the way I recommend.

Keep us up to date with how you are making out :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Moonworks - July 8, 2009

I use Frontpage for editing. Sure, I could use something text-based, but it is usually much easier to just see where you want things to go.

What I do, is have two tabs open, one saved as the PHP file, and one with just the code in it, that way you can edit on one, then copy/paste into the other when you want to check things out online.

I also find it easier, as I have a simple template with the design on it, then just load that in and add the sections that I need for each specific section. It's how I did it on my current site, and am doign on one I'm working on for a publisher, and it means things look how I want them to look.
High quality residential training for writers, actors & Film Making - Click Here for further information

By InHouse - July 13, 2009

One comment about Front Page. It does generate pretty convoluted HTML code by contemporary standards. I've not played with it's replacement, Expression Web so I can't comment on that.

That "interesting" code that Front Page creates can play merry hell when you later come to update the code with another coding tool.

By all means use the tool that works best for you. Just be sure that you don't have to share that code with anyone using another system. [;)]

J.

For the sake of discussion: I use Dreamweaver for 90% of my site work but often do some manual edits with SuperNoteTab. Yeah, I'm old.