Move CMS and all data from webhost to another

14 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 22, 2009   (RSS)

By ross - April 13, 2009

Hi Kate

That all sounds about right to me. We don't usually do a whole lot with phpMyAdmin though. Did you want to give MySQL Query Browser a try? I am not exactly an expert with that one either so I don't know how much I can do to help but it's definitely something you might want to give a shot.

Of course, you could also get in touch with your new webhost, show them the database dump you have and ask them to explain how to get that into your new database.

Keep me up to date with how you are making out :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By ross - April 30, 2009

Hi Kate

Did you already go through your new installation and setup the same sections as the old installation? There won't be any data in them right away of course, but the tables will be created and the fields setup already in your new database.

To make this step easier, just copy everything in the old /data/schema/ folder and move it to the new /data/schemaPresets/ folder. Then when you are creating new sections in the new installation, your old sections will be listed as options.

Once that's done, the data import should go smoother.

Does that make sense? There were a lot of "news" and "olds" in my explanation :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Move CMS and all data from webhost to another

By _kate_ - May 22, 2009

Hi Ross. Yes I did as you described as above but was stuck at uploading the data.

WOW. Can't believe how many different things I had to try to figure out what it wasn't working!! Have finally managed to copy my first site over. For anyone else reading experiencing problems I kept getting an error in phpadmin saying table already exists for each section.

I exported the data again but made sure "IF NOT EXISTS" was NOT checked, and as soon as I did that the data uploaded and is now working fine!