Move CMS and all data from webhost to another

14 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 22, 2009   (RSS)

By _kate_ - March 19, 2009

Hi,
I need to move an existing website from one web host to a new one. The site has been running for about a year so there has been a lot of data put into the CMS.

How do I first back up everything in the CMS in the event of some error, and then how to I get all the data on the new site? Are you able to just make a copy via FTP and upload or is there more to be done?

Thanks!

Re: [_kate_] Move CMS and all data from webhost to another

By Kenny - March 19, 2009

Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?

If so, read my tutorial I posted a while back. I think it has everything you need, if not, let us know and we can get it figured out.

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=67832#67832

Kenny

By ross - March 19, 2009

Hi Kate

Did Kenny's tutorial help? Keep us up to date with how you are making out :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Move CMS and all data from webhost to another

By _kate_ - March 28, 2009 - edited: March 28, 2009

Hi,
I've been having some problems with this. I upgraded the old site to the new version, then exported the data as detailed below.

Created database and installed CMSB on the new site. When to the SQL tab to upload the .sql file in phymyadmin and I kept getting an error saying I didn't have user permissions to do that.

My web host said the problem was I was trying to create a database in another database which isn't allowed, and he removed the create database from my file and uploaded it - I figured it would now work but I logged into CMSB and it looks exactly as it does on install and none of my data is there.

Any help is appreciated :/

By ross - March 30, 2009

Hi Kate

Importing and exporting data can be a little tricky as each server does it a little different depending on what tool you use.

Were you also using phpMyAdmin on your old server? If you like, we can try doing some of it for you through consulting. Send me an email through consulting@interactivetools.com.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the path for your images in the data will need to be adjusted on your new server.

Keep me up to date with how you are making out :).
Cheers,

By _kate_ - April 2, 2009

Kenny are you or anyone else able to offer advice on this problem? :/

By ross - April 2, 2009

Hi Kate

If you send me an email through consulting@interactivetools.com we can go over some more options. The reason it's better to do that in email is because we may need to pass some server details back and forth.

For the time being, could you contact both your webhosts and ask them if they allow external connections to your database?

At the very least, external connections to the database on your new server would be the one that helps us the most.

Thanks!
Cheers,

By ross - April 6, 2009

Hi Kate

The easiest way for us to do a data move is with a tool called MySQL Query Browser. We use it to connect to your database from our own computer and it has a built in backup/restore tool.

The thing is that we need to be able to connect to both servers remotely to do that. The fact that your current server doesn't allow external connects for MySQL will throw a wrench in that plan though.

What I'll get you to do is contact your current host and ask them how you can create an SQL dump of the CMS Builder database.

Then, ask your new server what options you have for restoring a database from an SQL dump.

Let's see where this gets us.

Thanks!
Cheers,

By _kate_ - April 12, 2009

Hi Ross,
The current webhost told me how to create a SQL dump and then he offered to do it for me.

I got that file and tried to upload it to the new webhost using the instructions they gave me below and it didn't work. Showed an error message. It appeared to create one of the sections (about) which I could now see in Phpmyadmin but still nothing displays when you login to the CMS.

"To restore a SQL database dump you will need to login to your domain
name and select database, once in your database administration page you need to create a new database.

Once this new database has been created click on its name and it should start up PHPmyadmin, once it has loaded up in the top right hand side of the page you should see a little box that says SQL, if you click on that a new page will open and you should see a option called Import files, now just browse for you SQL dump and import it."