Display "featured" info on every "detail" page?

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 2, 2009   (RSS)

By dwellingproductions - March 31, 2009

Hi! I have another question in regard to this member area I'm setting up for a client. Again, I have a multi-record set up where each record contains member information. Each member has an individual page which displays information specific to them that comes from their individual multi-record listing. (Additionally, each member page displays "global" organization information, such as a welcome message, etc.)

What my client wants is a way to have information from a "featured" member appear on every individual members page. This would be like a "member of the month" sort of idea, where a member would see the name, an image, and a point value of the "featured" member on their individual page, in addition to their own personal information which displays on another portion of the page.

The easy way for me to do this, obviously, is to add featured member fields in the "global" single-record which contains the client-supplied content (such as the welcome message), and have the client manually put the featured member information into those fields each month, or whenever he wants to update this. However, it would be a much more elegant solution, if, instead of having to re-enter data (and an image, etc) for the featured member each time they want to make a change, they could simply check a "featured" checkbox in the multi-record entry for the member they want to highlight that month, and have data from just that "featured" member be placed onto everyone's member page.

Is that possible? Does that even make any sense? :-)

Thanks so much!

Jeremy
---------------------------

Dwelling Productions

www.dwellingproductions.com

Re: [dwelling] Display "featured" info on every "detail" page?

By ross - April 1, 2009

Hi Jeremy

There should be an elegant way to get this going. What you'll want to do is create another simple file and set that one up to display your featured member. It would be a list page with:

'where' => 'featured = 1'

or something like that. It might be a bit different depending on how you have the featured option setup in your system.

Once you get that going, you can just include this file onto your members page.

Let me know if this makes sense :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/