Internal Server Error

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 5, 2009   (RSS)

By sidcam - February 25, 2009

I've been getting a lot of timeout/Internal Server Errors and slow load times and a few other strange behavior problems on a site that's still in development (so I'm the only one on the DB). Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Re: [sidcam] Internal Server Error

By Dave - February 25, 2009

Is it cheap cheap hosting? It could be an overloaded server or a low memory limit.

Do the error occur randomly or just on certain pages or during certain actions or operations?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Internal Server Error

By sidcam - February 25, 2009

Hosted on aplus.net. Been with them for a while and haven't had a lot of problems yet. If you think I need to check this out further, however,I will.

The one area I'm really having problems is with form submissions which use a different MySQL db on the same server and then hands it back off to a landing page that's also php. My initial tests are that the form submission that are on HTML pages aren't having a problem when I've tested them but I need to do more tests. The site has been in development for a LONG time and form submissions on php pages that were created a while back worked just fine up until recently.

As I've been working on the site almost non-stop for the past few days I've also noticed long load times and time outs both in the application and on my pages- many of which were written months ago and performed fine at the time. That's why I suspect it's not the Form Submission db.

I did upgrade a couple of weeks ago before starting work on the site again. Earlier today I just completed another upgrade just in case there was a patch fix although the problems remain. I also went back to both applications and made sure the chmods were set to 777 for all the files that needed write permissions,

By sidcam - February 26, 2009

Aplus tells me that there's a global limit of 32mb for PHP memory. Could that be a problem?

By jenolan - February 27, 2009

Aplus tells me that there's a global limit of 32mb for PHP memory. Could that be a problem?

blarg .. that's low.

I run 128meg to be safe.
---
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>
Peace and Long Life

By ross - February 27, 2009

Hi

I am thinking that's the problem too. I'll double check with Dave when he gets in but I would get back in touch with your host and ask them what options you have for getting that increased. Perhaps they have a different plan you could switch to.

Keep us up to date :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Internal Server Error

By sidcam - February 27, 2009

Yeah, after posting that I started thinking "global" means 32mb for every single php site on the shared server. I have no idea of how many sites are on a shared box but if it's in the hundreds and half of them run php that's probably not a lot.

The site is currently on their second highest plan for a shared box. When I upgraded one of my other sites to their highest plan the server didn't change so I'm guessing I should probably check into Go Daddy or some other hosting provider to see what they offer.

Sid

By Dave - February 28, 2009

Sid,

Also check if you can find the error logs. Sometimes those give some clues as to why 500 server errors occurred.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

By jenolan - March 5, 2009

Double blarg .. not godaddy!

Try HostGator http://secure.hostgator.com/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=Jenolan their php settings are great even on their most trivial plan. I swapped from my own dedicated system to HG that's how good they are!

Larry
---
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>
Peace and Long Life