Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

8 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 18, 2009   (RSS)

By _kate_ - February 15, 2009

Hi,
I have a client who is having a problem with the CMS.

They have a list of products on the site, and one field (a description field) is a WYSIWYG box. When the client views products in the CMS they are shown with a blank description, even though there is a description entered already which is currently showing on the website.

This page has previously been working fine, and prior to the error no pages in the CMS or on the site were updated.

I look forward to any advice :)

Re: [_kate_] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By ross - February 16, 2009

Hi Kate

That's defintiely an odd one. I think it will be something I need to take a closer look at for you. Could you send in a support request?

https://www.interactivetools.com/support/email_support.cgi

If you could mention this forum thread in the description, that would be great [:)].

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [_kate_] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By kevbarker - February 17, 2009

I recently saw this same problem and discovered it was due to the Microsoft Word code that was inserted (following paste from Word). If you look at the web page source and see a bunch of code that shouldn't be there, then that is probably what is causing it. I kept going back and forth thinking that the record was not getting updated since the web page was blank, and when I looked at the source code saw the huge chunk of 'Microsoft' there where only a paragraph tag and a couple of sentences should be. It would not display anything.

Might be something to look at if you are still seeing the problem. I was using Word 2007, IE7 and Firefox when I ran into this problem.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Re: [kevbarker] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By Dave - February 17, 2009

For anyone having this problem the latest version of tinymce might help fix this problem. I've attached a zip with the /tinymce3/ files. Just upload them overtop of the existing /tinymce3/ files to upgrade.

This will be in the next release as well.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com
Attachments:

tinymce3.zip 248K

Re: [Dave] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By InHouse - February 18, 2009

What a relief this would be. The hidden overhead junk from MSWord is a real problem for all CMS tools (particularly if you have bullet/number list items in your article).

I'm almost at the point of only allowing plain textfields for client content rather than rich text. It avoids this issues but at the cost of client controlled styling.

Hopefully the new version of tinyMCE will clean this up more efficiently.

Dave, any word on how old an install of CMSB this new editor will play nicely with? I have a key client on the old Admin layout and upgrading them will be an exercise in patience and diplomacy.

J.

Re: [InHouse] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By Dave - February 18, 2009

Do they have a cmsAdmin/tinymce3/ folder? If so try renaming it /tinymce3_old/ and uploading the newer one. It should work, but if it doesn't work you can easily revert back by renaming the folders again.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Problem with WYSIWYG in CMS

By InHouse - February 18, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I'll give it a try.