Editor Fields On Demand

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 2, 2009   (RSS)

By gkornbluth - January 30, 2009

I’m setting up a complex editor which has a lot of fields that are only relevant if a particular option is selected.

(Like upload boxes that are only relevant if the option to use graphics is selected, at which point the associated text fields are no longer needed.)

To reduce the clutter, I’d like to have certain groups of fields appear in the editor only when they are relevant to the client’s selection.

Has anyone tried to implement the use of context sensitive fields in CMSB?

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Editor Fields On Demand

By Dave - February 2, 2009

Hi Jerry,

I don't think we've done context sensitive fields in CMS Builder, but we've done it in other similar apps. It's possible by adding javascript code in header fields, but tricky.

Another common approach is to group and organize fields with header bars (using the separator field type). So it makes it easier for the user to visually "skip" over a whole section that doesn't apply.

If you experiment with different field groupings you can find this can make a huge difference.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Editor Fields On Demand

By gkornbluth - February 2, 2009

Thanks Dave,

I'm already grouping fields with headers and it helps some. Is it possible to move a group to the bottom of an editor or is that the same kind of tricky javascript issue?

Jerry
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Editor Fields On Demand

By Dave - February 2, 2009

No there's no automatic way to dynamically move a group down, other than figuring it out with some javascript.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com