SQL Data Backup

7 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 29, 2009   (RSS)

By rconring - January 26, 2009

[font "Verdana"]Hey Guys ....
[font "Verdana"]First of all, thanks for producing exceptional products and providing excellent support for those products! [font "Verdana"]Being the backup fanatic that I am, I find myself facing a dilemma with the CMS Builder. My concern is with the SQL Database. Since I have relinquished content to the site owner, I feel they should also be responsible for backing up their own SQL data since I never know when changes are made or if they are in the process of editing the data. I am wondering if maybe you are addressing this issue as a feature in future versions and if not, could you recommend an inexpensive and simple solution to allow the client to do the backup. (I can't give them access to the PHPAdmin control panel.)
Until now, I have not had this problem since I have the source and content for all sites I have developed.
[font "Verdana"]Hope someone can advise on this issue.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

Re: [rconring] SQL Data Backup

By Dave - January 26, 2009

Hi Ron,

MySQL backup is a feature we have in wings but it's a ways off. Some of the challenges are the different levels of access provided by various MySQL installs and the fact you need to backup your uploads as well.

If the client's MySQL server allows remote connections (or can be configured to do so) I believe you can setup automated scheduled mysql backups using MySQL Administrator. A free tool from MySQL here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html Also, MySQL Query Browser which comes in that package is great as well.

Other things to look into would be checking if the host has automated backups, or perhaps offering the client a backup service for a monthly fee.

Another option might be if you could do a new phpMyAdmin install that only allowed access to their database.

One thing to keep in mind with all of those client powered solutions is that even if it's _them_ that forgets to backup they probably won't be very happy with you about it.

Hope that helps.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] SQL Data Backup

By rconring - January 26, 2009

Thanks Dave for your prompt reply!

I agree, the buck always stops here regardless of where the fault lies.
I am leaning toward a offering monthly backup service fee just for that reason and because of the uploads.
I do believe that my host does have automated backup .. will look into that.
I take pride in the fact that, in 22 years in this business, have never uttered the words "Oops, I lost your data"
Ron Conring

Re: [rconring] SQL Data Backup

By flamerz - January 28, 2009

I think you can code it by yourself:

http://davidwalsh.name/backup-mysql-database-php

It would be nice to add this like feature in next upgrade :)

Best regards

Roberto

Re: [flamerz] SQL Data Backup

By rconring - January 28, 2009

Thanks for the script ... however, I did find a great software that does scheduled or manual backups on selected (or all) databases and selected (or all) tables. I downloaded a 15 day trial and within minutes, had two of the sites set for automated backup. It does incremental or overwrite backups to your local machine/newtork. I am very impressed with it and intend to set it to do scheduled backups on all databases. Of course, there is the issue of backing up the schema, but since I do not allow any section editing, I will have to back them up each time I make any structural changes.

The blog you directed me to has some nice script available for other tasks as well. Being new to PHP, I need all the help I can get!

Thanks again ...
Ron Conring

Re: [flamerz] SQL Data Backup

By rconring - January 28, 2009

Roberto ...

I forgot to provide the software website. Check it out at http://www.swordsky.com/
Ron Conring