How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

11 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 31, 2012   (RSS)

By nigelparry.net - January 6, 2009 - edited: January 6, 2009

CMS Builder has a WYSIWYG interface called Tiny MCE. It can upload images.

How does one adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image-resize defaults that appear under images in the Image Gallery, after you have uploaded an image via the WYSIWYG editor?

I want to be able to constrict "Large" images to the content table width of 500 pixels so nothing in the design gets pushed out.

Also, so the client doesn't have to do any in-house resizing but can upload something large and have it resized to 500 pixels wide.

I also want to have Tiny MCE create a 300 pixel wide image for the "Small" option, to generate images that can be nested in text.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Nigel

For more information about Nigel Parry and nigelparry.net
websites please see http://nigelparry.net

nigelparry.net: award-winning communications
solutions for clients with something to say

Website & print design
Internet, public relations & media consulting

Re: [nigelparry.net] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By Dave - January 7, 2009

Hi Nigel,

You can set those in : Admin > Section Editors > Your Section > Your Upload Field > Advanced Options > Upload Settings

You want to change the sizes for "Resize images larger than" and "Create thumbnail".

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [nigelparry.net] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By Dave - January 7, 2009

No, the wysiwyg uploader is a custom tinymce addon we wrote to do that. It works the same as the regular upload fields.

You actually edit the wysiwyg field in the field editor, since there's no upload field for the wysiwyg. So if your field is called "content" just edit that in the field editor and you'll see those settings.

This is good to know because you can actually turn uploads on and off for wysiwygs in the same place and also control which file extensions are allow to be upload.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By JeffC - January 30, 2012

Hi

Would it be possible to take this a stage further and rename Thumb: 1 | 2 |3 to a description.

For example could I rename:
Thumb 1 to 'full width'
Thumb 2 to 'Half width'
Thumb 3 to 'Quarter Width'
Jeff

Re: [Jeffncou] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By (Deleted User) - January 30, 2012

Hi Jeffncou,

Could you explain more about why you're interested in labeling the thumbnails differently? I've included some generic information about the editor screen but I'm not sure I've actually answered your question.

The thumbnail labels as seen when in the Section Editor are set by the file lib\menus\database\editField.php. For each upload field you can have independent sizes for each thumbnail (so 'bigImages' could have 4 thumbnails - 1000x1000,900x900,800x400,700x600 - and 'smallImages' could have 4 thumbnails - 500x500,400x300,320x240,150x100). Each thumbnail has it's own fields in the uploads table (eg 'thumbUrlPath2','thumbWidth2','thumbHeight2'). This is to make it easy to retrieve the desired image and size when writing code.

Labeling each type of thumbnail with its own description based on the table that the uploader is for and the field within that table that it relates to would require adding code to the file lib\menus\database\editField.php and would only be changing the name as displayed, not the name used in the table itself (ie the end user will see whatever label you want for each thumbnail but when retrieving those thumbnails you would still use thumbUrlPath, thumbUrlPath2 etc).

Hope that helps,

Tom

Re: [Tom P] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By JeffC - January 31, 2012

Hi Tom

I wanted to label the thumbnails differently to give the end user a hint as to what they could expect for each image. For users unfamiliar with screen resolutions, pixels etc a descriptive label such as full width, half width would possibly be more intuitive than expecting them to put in a dimension in pixels.

Furthermore I am a sucker for designing in grids and columns, probably because of my print background, and by giving the user preset sizes I have a little more control over the final appearance of the site while still giving the user lots of choice
Jeff

Re: [Jeffncou] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By (Deleted User) - January 31, 2012

Hi Jeffncou,

What you're suggesting makes perfect sense - clarity for the end user is always a good thing and, as you say, a pixel may not mean much to them!

It might be best to create different upload fields for each size, then you can label each field with anything you want and the maximum number of uploads (for that field) to 1 and set the size - don't forget that the size limit is maximum dimension, not cropping (ie as soon as both width and height are the same or less than the maximum for each, the image is thumbnailed, rather than as soon as one dimension reaches the limit).

The other option that I mentioned before is, I think, too much for what you're planning to do.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Re: [Tom P] How to adjust Tiny MCE's "Large" and "Small" image resize defaults

By JeffC - January 31, 2012

I didn't realise you are able to create different upload fields for the tinymce wysiwig menu? How would I go about that?
Jeff

By (Deleted User) - January 31, 2012

Hi Jeffcnou,

Sorry, I got off track with my thinking - while you can create any number of upload fields in a viewer, there is only one for the editor.

For what you're aiming for it would be faster (and easier!) to set templates for each page and make each section of the template editable independently, rather than using the wysiwyg editor to edit all areas simultaneously. While this would give you very tight control over the look of the site ultimately, it would add more steps to making changes and require a new structured template to be set up in CMSB if a current template doesn't suit.

Hope this helps,

Tom