Demo Install

15 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 29, 2008   (RSS)

By Eirsite - April 8, 2008

Hi,

I purchased 2 licences to have in stock for clients sites. I am not familiar with CMS Builder. I have used Article Manager on a number of websites and it has been great.

Is it possible for me to install a demo of CMS Builder in a sub directory on my business website so I can familiarize myself with the software and work on template designs.

Thanks

Peter

Re: [Eirsite] Demo Install

By Dave - April 8, 2008

Hi Peter, welcome to the CMS Builder forum.

Yes, I'd just use one of your 2 spare licenses and then when you build a website for a client just use that license for them.

Having a second install with the same license for staging purposes is totally fine and if you're done using a license on one website you're free to use it on another instead.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Demo Install

By Eirsite - April 9, 2008

Thanks Dave,

I have gone ahead and done an install on my website and have come upon an error and got the following message.

'Please disable the 'safe_mode' setting in php.ini.'

How would I go about this.

Thanks

Peter

Re: [Eirsite] Demo Install

By Dave - April 9, 2008

Hi Peter,

The quickest route would be to ask your web host if they can disable safe_mode or instruct you how to do it. The instructions can be different depending on the host.

"Safe Mode" basically is a PHP feature where you can disable parts of PHP. It ended up causing more harm than good so the PHP people have removed it from the latest PHP in development (PHP6) but some hosts still have it turned on. Most will turn it off or tell you how if you ask them.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist.
interactivetools.com

By james_jackson - September 18, 2008

Hi!

I also received this error message after upgrading. I've contact my hosting company & they've indicated that safe_mode is off. See this link to verify http://anthonyrealtor.com/info.php

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time!

.james.

By james_jackson - September 26, 2008

Hello again Dave,

I did remove the code as you suggested & did indeed get further errors. You may view them here: http://anthonyrealtor.com/cmsAdmin/admin.php

Using Adobe Go Live I checked the permission on the first several files indicated in the error messages & they are (by everything I can tell) set to be writable.

What's our next step?

Thanks again,

.james.

Re: [james_jackson] Demo Install

By Dave - September 26, 2008

That's a normal message. It's just an extra check we run to make sure the permissions are set and notify you if they aren't.

You need to set the file permissions with FTP. There's more details in the install instructions under 5) Set File Permissions:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/install.html

Basically you just need to FTP in and set those files to chmod 0777

Hope that helps.
interactivetools.com

By james_jackson - September 26, 2008

Yay! Progress! Thanks Dave!

However, I'm left with the following errors:

Please make the following files and directories are writable:
/home/anthony/anthonyrealtor.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/thumb/ (doesn't exist)
/home/anthony/anthonyrealtor.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/thumb2/ (doesn't exist)
/home/anthony/anthonyrealtor.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/thumb3/ (doesn't exist)
/home/anthony/anthonyrealtor.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/thumb4/ (doesn't exist)

You can verify via the URL I gave you in my previous post.

Do I just need to create these as empty directories & set them to chmod077 also?

.james.

Re: [james_jackson] Demo Install

By Dave - September 26, 2008

>Do I just need to create these as empty directories & set them to chmod077 also?

Yes, exactly. They should have been included in the zip you received (in v1.12) but if for any reason they didn't get created just create them now and set the permissions.

Let me know if you run into any other issues.
interactivetools.com