using checkboxes with combination of search fields

8 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 9, 2008   (RSS)

By Deborah - September 9, 2008

[font "Arial"]I'm attempting to use checkboxes on a search template form, in addition to some drop-downs. For example, I'd like it if "option A" and "option B" are both selected checkboxes in a search form, that all listings containing a "positive" for at least one of these fields (and for both) would be displayed in the results.

What's happening for me is that when both checkboxes are selected, only those listings that contain a positive for both options are displayed, instead of an either/or.

It seems that checkboxes shouldn't be associated with each other in this manner. Does someone know of a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: [Deborah] using checkboxes with combination of search fields

By Donna - September 9, 2008

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for your post. :)

At the moment, CMS Builder cannot do "or" searching. It's something we're looking into for the future, though. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Hi Deborah,

Actually... that sort of search wasn't available in Realty Manager, either. The search engines for both are pretty comparable. :)
Donna

--

Re: [Donna] using checkboxes with combination of search fields

Donna,

That's odd. Maybe I didn't explain what it is I wanted to do very clearly. Here's a slice of the code I've used for a Realty Manager site I worked with, which does seem to return results for two checkboxes, if two are selected.

<input type="checkbox" name="lfield18_keyword" value="Yes">Ocean View
<input type="checkbox" name="lfield19_keyword" value="Yes" />Lake View
<input type="checkbox" name="lfield20_keyword" value="Yes" />Mountain View

Without the ability to choose more than one checkbox at a time, the site visitor would have to return to the search form and view the results separately for Ocean View and Lake View, where they might like to view the combined results.

I'm hoping you're going to say something like... "oh, so that's what you want to do... here's how...!"

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

That works the same as CMS Builder -- if both "Ocean View" and "Lake View" were checked, only listings that had both "Ocean View" and "Lake View" would come back. Both Listings Manager & CMS Builder only do "and" searches, not "or".

Adding boolean searches is a pretty big endeavor... but it's definitely a requested feature. :)
Donna

--

Re: [Donna] using checkboxes with combination of search fields

Donna,

I just went back to the Realty Manager site I worked on several years ago and performed some searches. And I'm embarrased to say that you are so right! [blush]

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I'll figure out a plan from here for the new project. (And I'm open to any suggestions.)

Deborah

By Dave - September 9, 2008

Hi Deborah,

We could probably make it work with a small amount of custom programming. Email me direct (dave@interactivetools.com) with a mockup of the search form and I can let you know how involved it would be.

Basically we just need to create a custom MySQL query based on the form input. You can do just about anything with SQL queries.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com