Uploads failing

11 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 15, 2008   (RSS)

By dwellingproductions - July 7, 2008

We are designing a site for a church using CMS builder as a backend CMS solution. It is a really wonderful solution for allowing the client's appointees to be able to update the site on their own. One such area that will be updated by church volunteers is an "audio" section. On the "audio" page, there is Flash-based audio player that loads multiple audio files from a folder and the site visitor can select the file to play within the Flash audio player. I set up the upload field in the CMS administrator to have uploaded files go into this specific folder (in the advanced features). For this client, the audio consists of the Sunday morning sermons, which are about 30 minutes long and about 15 MB large as mp3 files. Now, in order to allow the site visitor to download the files (which they cannot do from the Flash player) I am adding the CMS uploaded files code to the bottom of the page, so that any files they upload, in addition to being playable in the Flash audio player, will also be available to download from the bottom portion of the page.

Here's our issue: Smaller files will upload fine and integrate into the Flash audio player, as well as appearing at the bottom of the page to be downloaded. However, these "sermon" audio files will not upload. They process for a couple of minutes (longer in Firefox) and then you get the following error messages:

In Internet Explorer: "The page cannot be displayed."

In Firefox: "The connection was reset - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I contacted the hosting provider and they said that they had no set timeout for uploads, even given the fact that it was being done through our own CMS system (which I showed them). Also, I do not have the "maximum upload size" checked. It is not having a problem with smaller mp3 files, just larger ones, it seems.

Can anyone think of what we might be able to do to overcome this issue? My only idea so far (and one I'm not really excited about because it's not a very streamlined solution for the people who will update the site) was to just teach them how to FTP upload the files to the "audio" folder. However, I then have the issue of those files not showing up in the download area at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Jeremy
---------------------------

Dwelling Productions

www.dwellingproductions.com

Re: [dwelling] Uploads failing

By Donna - July 7, 2008

Hi Jeremy,

Yep, sounds like it's timing out -- even if your host has no set timeout, HTTP just wasn't designed for uploading really large files like that. FTP is probably the route to go there.

As for having it linked in CMS Builder, one option would be to create a new field for the filenames and type them in there... then add the link code to your page (like this: <a href="<?php code goes here?>">Download Audio File</a>)

With that, whatever you put into the field will be output for that field (with the correct PHP code from the code generator for that field, of course.)

Would something like that work for you?
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Uploads failing

By dwellingproductions - July 7, 2008

Thanks so much Dave (and Donna). I'm sending over an email now.

Jeremy

Dwelling Productions

By dwellingproductions - July 8, 2008 - edited: July 8, 2008

Problem solved! Thanks Dave!

Just in case anyone has this problem in the future, here's what fixed it. The following is an email I received from Dave:

"Hi Jeremy,

If you look under Admin > General > phpinfo (a link at the bottom)
http://www.yourdomain.com/cmsAdmin/admin.php?menu=admin&action=phpinfo

It lists all the PHP config options. Here's some that will make it timeout

max_execution_time (program run time) was set to 60, I updated in your /php5.ini to be 300
max_input_time (upload time) was set to 30, I updated in your /php5.ini to be 300 (five minutes)
post_max_size (upload size) was set to 8M, I updated in your /php5.ini to be 100M
upload_max_filesize (max upload size) was set to 2M, I updated in your /php5.ini to be 100M

After changing those it seems to work. Can you test it on your end?

Hope that helps!"

The changes were made to the PHP5.ini file located in the root directory of the site (if running PHP 5). (If this file does not exist, you can make one by creating a text file, saving it as "php5.ini" - if running PHP version 5 - and putting the following lines in the file.) Dave added these lines to the php5.ini file:

max_input_time = 300
post_max_size = "100M"
max_execution_time = 300
upload_max_filesize = "100M"

Everything now works perfectly! Thanks again!

Jeremy

Dwelling Productions

By jimbly2 - July 14, 2008

Hi - I'm having the same issue here - any pdf over about 3 meg just fails to upload. But I don't have the phpinfo link that you describe in your Admin settings?

I am using CMS version 1.07 - is it time to upgrade? :-)

thanks

Jim

Re: [jimbly2] Uploads failing

By Dave - July 14, 2008

Hi Jim,

You can create your own info script. Just create a new file called phpinfo.php with this contents:

<?php print phpinfo(); ?>

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By jimbly2 - July 14, 2008

Hi Dave,

hope you're well - yes thanks - I remembered that just after I posted! I need to get access to the server root to revise the php.ini file now.

Re: [jimbly2] Uploads failing

By Dave - July 14, 2008

Ok, keep in mind that different hosts are setup differently. Sometimes you can set those settings with an .htaccess file, sometimes they'll be in your website root in a /php.ini (beside your index.html), and sometimes you'll need to ask your host to make the changes.

If unsure, just check with your host.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By jimbly2 - July 15, 2008

Hi Dave,

I've made changes to the php.ini file, but do I need to restart the webserver for the changes to take effect?

thanks

J