Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

8 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 14, 2008   (RSS)

By Ryan - December 14, 2007

Hi everyone, just incase you get stuck with this error message like me,

"Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess."

Upload the attached .htaccess file (to whatever dir your files are in) to switch off 'magic_quotes_gpc'

Im on shared hosting and they would be unlikely to change the setting in the php.ini file for me

Or create your own .htaccess file with this code

# Disable magic_quotes_gpc
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Attachments:

upload.htaccess 1K

Re: [ryan_dot] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By Donna - December 14, 2007

Thanks for sharing! :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By limbo - December 30, 2007 - edited: December 30, 2007

This .htacess thing is driving me up the wall!!!!!

If I follow your instructions I still get the "Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess" message despite having uploaded the .htaccess file to the cmsAdmin root folder. When I upload the attachment to the previous post I get a 500 internal error message.

It is always a mission to get the software working.

I am so frustrated. I'm on a phpsuexec server - is this a problem?

ALTERNATIVELY, if it is my hosting providers problem, why don't you just make all of our lives easier and RECOMMEND a shared hosting provider that cuts through all of this hassle?

I bought CMS Builder almost as soon as you had launched it. I only found a web host today that could do me MySQL 5.015 and PHP 5.2 minimum. What a mission. Then this problem with the "magic quotes" comes up. You didn't think of warning us to check with our hosting provider about this issue (of whether they allow php_flags in the .htaccess files) before we go and setup accounts with them. This has been such a waste of time, and in my case, a waste of money - I paid a years worth of hosting for an account that had MySQL 5.015 and PHP 5.2 minimum.

I don't know. But this is becoming one too many of several problems I have had lately with interactivetools.com software. I have bought I think 15 to 20 licenses from you already. I am getting frustrated.

Re: [limbo] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By Dave - December 31, 2007

Thanks for posting and giving us a chance to help you out.

We value you as a customer and so I really appreciate you letting us know when you're having a hard time with our software so we can have a chance to make it right for you.

I want you to know that I completely understand where you're coming from. I've struggled with web hosts on numerous occassions for both our own sites and client sites as well. It's incredibly frustrating and a huge waste of time on top of that.

I know some hosts are still behind the times on PHP 5.2. The PHP folks themselves have declared PHP4 dead (see http://www.php.net/#2007-07-13-1) and the PHP developer community has actually set a deadline of Feb 5th, 2008 for hosts and software developers to have moved to 5.2 (see http://www.gophp5.org/).

And as for the 'magic_quotes_gpc', even the PHP folks don't recommend using anymore and are removing it from the next version of php (see http://php.net/magic_quotes).

Anyways, I know at the end of the day all that really matters is your project gets up and running. So here's some tips for that:

- It sounds like your host doesn't let you tweak php settings with an .htaccess file. I recommend asking them if there is some other way of doing it. If you host is any good at all, they will have some way to do it.

- If they don't (don't have a way to disable a PHP feature that isn't recommended by the PHP people) that sounds like a total scam and they should certainly give you your money back. Still a waste of time, but at least that's something.

- If you decide to switch hosts we offer hosting (see "hosting" on the menu above), and also recommend serverbeach.com (dedicated hosting) and dreamhost.com (low cost shared hosting). All who support PHP 5.2+ (sometimes take an email to turn it on).

- Post here and keep us up to date with what's going on. We will back you up and make sure this gets going for you.

Try talking to your host first and let us know what they say, and if you need anything else post here or email me directly and I'll help you out asap.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By limbo - January 1, 2008

I have gone ahead and setup an account with DreamHost. Everything seems to be working fine.
Thank you.

Re: [limbo] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By Dave - January 1, 2008

Sounds good, just let us know (post a new thread) if you run into any problems or have any other questions. We're here to help! :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [ryan_dot] Please disable the 'magic_quotes_gpc' setting in php.ini or with .htaccess.

By Dave - May 14, 2008

Thanks for the tip!

Also, we added some code to v1.08 to automatically undo what magic_quotes_gpc does for users who are unable to change that setting.
interactivetools.com