User Accounts - Help, please

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 24, 2008   (RSS)

By matrix - April 24, 2008

We waited until the site was complete for delivery before setting up a user account for the client (just as we do for AM). What I'm trying to do is allow access to update most sections without admin access.

Haven't done this before, so now have an unexpected problem. My only choice other than admin seems to be: "Regular - User can only access records they have created."

After setting up this account, obviously my client can't update all those sections we want them to be able to maintain.

Omigosh!! What to do? We're delivering TOMORROW. Good grief. Nothing like waiting til the last minute.

Thank you so very much.
Happy Interactive Tools product user since 1999

Re: [matrix] User Accounts - Help, please

By Dave - April 24, 2008

Hi Matrix, Don't worry! We'll make sure you can launch by tomorrow!

Exactly what access do you want the user to have?

It's safe to give the user "Admin" access to a section (or all sections). It just means they can edit any record within that section.

The options that allows access to the Admin menu itself looks like this:
[ ] Allow access to Admin menus (including this section)

I realize they have similar names. Hopefully that's the only problem. Let me know how we can best help!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] User Accounts - Help, please

Man, you are the best! I'll bet you can hear my sigh of relief all the way to there, 2500 miles away! Thank you!!

Does the "admin" designation mean they can update fields that were set up within a section to be changed only by admin? For instance, I had a lot of fun with CMS Builder and used a couple of places to include iframes, called by variable for that page. Works like a charm, but did designate admin only for that field change since if they mess with it, it'll break their beautiful slide shows.

Not sure that made sense, but does it?
:)

It's not a deal killer, like not being able to update, but would be good to know.

Thanks so much again.

Re: [matrix] User Accounts - Help, please

By Dave - April 24, 2008

Yes, if they have admin access for a section than they can access all the "Admin Only" fields for that section too.

We've had a few requests to expand that to allow you to specify users or groups to edit certain fields instead of just "Admin Only" and that's on the future feature list.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] User Accounts - Help, please

Okay. I set up user as admin and see what you mean...it's just a name issue. Good to see they don't really get admin access to play around and destroy weeks of work for which they would have to pay again. (Would also maybe break my heart.)

I think I understand now. Will go test the field admin access question for myself. Shouldn't have bothered you with that one without trying it first.

Thanks!