Notice: CMS Builder v1.12 released! (Data loss bug fixed - recommended upgrade!)

7 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 7, 2008   (RSS)

By Dave - March 20, 2008 - edited: April 14, 2008

UPDATE: We've released v1.12 with an important bugfix, see the post below!

We've just released v1.11, with some new features and many improvements and bug fixes.

Some of the new features include:
- A new special field 'dragSortOrder' that lets you drag records to re-order them (docs)
- A "Save & Copy" button in the field editor for faster entry of similar fields
- A new search suffix "_query" for google style searches like this: +word -word "multi word phrase" (docs)
- New WYSIWYG buttons: Paste From Word, Paste As Plain Text, and Create Anchor

For a full list of changes, visit the CMS Builder changelog:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/cmsbuilder/changelog.html

CMS Builder users can upgrade by donation at this page:
http://www.interactivetools.com/upgrade/

Keep your feature requests and bug reports coming in! Every single release we've done is packed full of user requested changes. Post to the forum or send us an email (dave@...).

See you in the forum! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

CMS Builder v1.12 released!

By Dave - March 21, 2008 - edited: March 21, 2008

We've released v1.12 (one day after v1.11). We don't usually release so quickly but we discovered a obscure bug that could lead to data loss. Here's what you need to know:

If the field editor when you drag and drop fields (to change their order) it updates the schema file (/data/schema/section.ini.php) for that section. If you drag and drop many fields very quickly and your server is slower (or the timing is just right) two processes can try and update the schema file at the same time and it can get blanked out.

To be clear, we've never had a report of this happening, only admin users in the field editor could do it, and you'd have to be re-ordering the fields really fast (or have a really slow server). Even then, ONLY your schema file is erased, NOT your record data. So by re-creating your schema file your record data can be accessed again and even without a schema file all your website viewers will still work just fine.

The only reason we discovered this is during testing we were checking that drag and drop sorting worked and were quickly flinging fields around to make sure they stayed where we moved them. Re-creating the bug would often take me a few minutes of dragging fields back and forth as fast as I could.

All the same, we take issues like this very seriously and wanted to let everyone know ASAP. Here's what you can do to protect yourself.

1) Download a backup of your /data/ folder now and if you make changes in the field editor. If something happened and you lost a schema file, this would allow you to just upload it again.

2) Then upgrade to v1.12 - we've added some code to prevent this from happening in future. (Note: Some of our support staff (including myself) are away this long weekend till Tuesday, so you may want to wait till then to do it to make sure we're available to help if you have any problems).

And finally, if you're not currently re-ordering fields, or if you just do them one at a time, this CAN'T happen.

So if your site is already setup and you're not working in the field editor, there is NO risk of this. But we do recommend upgrading for the future.

You can download this version for free here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/order/download.cgi

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any questions please feel free to post.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] CMS Builder v1.12 released! (Data loss bug fixed - recommended upgrade!)

By kcallana - March 31, 2008

i just purchased 5 cms Admin licenses 3/21/08, what is the typical donation you are looking for the upgrade. I don't want to be cheap but I did just purchase them? I love all your products and want to support the upgrades and development of new products.

Re: [kcallana] CMS Builder v1.12 released! (Data loss bug fixed - recommended upgrade!)

By Dave - March 31, 2008

Hi kcallana,

Thanks for your business. We really appreciate it! :)

If you just purchased I wouldn't expect anything. So just go ahead and enter 0 in the field for upgrade amount.

For future upgrades I'd base it on how useful the new features we add are for you. Some versions have lots more new features than others. Most people pay somewhere between 10 and 50, but whatever amount makes sense for you is just fine.

Hope that helps! Any other questions just let me know. :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] CMS Builder v1.12 released! (Data loss bug fixed - recommended upgrade!)

By Dave - April 5, 2008

Just a follow-up on this. There's a bug in v1.12 where you can't erase files you've uploaded through the wysiwyg. Instructions on how to fix it and a patch can be found here:

http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/P60995#60995

This will be fixed in the next version.
interactivetools.com

By kcallana - April 7, 2008

i just tried to upgrade one of my sites but I am getting this message

MySQL Error: Table 'cms2.cms__accesslist' doesn't exist

http://lorenzos.net/cmsAdmin/admin.php[/#003366]