Hi my names Dumbo!

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 29, 2008   (RSS)

By Fuzion IT - March 27, 2008

That's what it feels like anyway! [:)]

I've just signed up for a trial of CMS builder and am confused from the start off. Firstly I assumed (wrongly it seems) that the installation came with a basic site already but there is only an admin system. So if I've got it right you have to create pages then add the correct code to make them editable.

If the above is correct then I assume that there is no way for clients to add new pages or sections without a web developer creating a php page first.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Re: [Fuzion IT] Hi my names Dumbo!

By Dave - March 27, 2008

Hi FuzionIT, welcome to the forums!

Yes, you either create pages or add code to existing pages.

CMS Builder doesn't build new websites but it does let you update and manage existing ones.

The end user can't create new sections, but they can create new pages. So for a typical site you might have a sections for: Events, News, Products, Staff Bios, etc. The user could go in and add a new news item and it would appear instantly on the site.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not. If you build websites then CMS Builder is something you'd add to allow the client to update the site themselves without having to call you to do updates.

The best way to get started is to create a "News" section, add a few fake records to it, and then create a list viewer and page viewer for it (newsList.php and newsPage.php).

Let me know if you need more details on that and I can walk you through the process. It's really quite amazing once you get the hang of it.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Hi my names Dumbo!

By Fuzion IT - March 27, 2008

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. That makes things a little more clear. I think that the product may suit some of my clients but not those that would like a bit more control. Will take a closer look though [:)].

Re: [Dave] Hi my names Dumbo!

By soj - March 28, 2008

Hi Dave, so let me make sure I have this clear:

CMSB will auto-create additional pages for Sections marked as multi-page if I first create and paste in the appropriate viewer code in pages named newsList.php and newsPage.php. Are they actually new files or is the content simply replaced in the original file?

Thanks!

soj