How to archive posts and link to fixed pages

7 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 20, 2008   (RSS)

By thenetgirl - March 20, 2008

I need help with how to set up this page and the links on it and what feature to use to add each years races to the archive. I feel I need to start with the archive but I dont know how.

[url "http://sscloft.exedor.net/pigeonraces.php"]http://sscloft.exedor.net/pigeonraces.php[/#800080][/url]

Thanks
Patricia
Patricia

www.thenetgirl.com

Re: [thenetgirl] How to archive posts and link to fixed pages

By Dave - March 20, 2008

Hi patricia,

The first step is to figure out what all the "fields" are. These would be the unique blocks of data that are the same for each page.

There's no content in the race archive page so I'm not sure how you want that to look. A good first step is to mockup all the different types of pages so you can figure out the design and content you want on them in advance.

Do the races (150, 200, 300) all happen at the same time? And is there always 3 pages of results (basketing, results, payouts)? And are the averages to do with the 150,200,300 races or something else? Does that url represent one day of races or a bunch of different races?

If it was one day of races and they all had the same format I'd create a section called "races" with fields for:

150 Intro (textfield)
150 Intro Photos (uploads)
150 Basketing (uploads)
150 Race Results Ranks (textbox with names from left side)
150 Race Results (uploads)
150 Payouts (textbox)
and so on for the different races (200, 300 and averages).

And then what should the archives look like?

The first step is figuring out what information you want displayed and where, and then how to group it.

Hope that helps. Let me know when you get that first part figured out (content, design, format) and then we can help you create it with the CMS.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How to archive posts and link to fixed pages

Ok Lets see - each race is a differnt day/weekend with different results that are uploaded as images.

The archive page is just links to the pages from prior races

like this http://sscloft.exedor.net/racearchive.php

I know how to set up the individual pages with what should go on them how ever I cant get past next years race When you will write over them and the nothing will link to the archive.

I get confused when I need to go to mutliple pages and how this will all come out .......
Patricia

www.thenetgirl.com

By Dave - March 20, 2008

Would it work not to have archives as such, but just a list of races with the newest ones listed first, and prev/next links at the bottom to let people page through?

Then clicking on a race title would take you to another page where it would give more details about that specific race?
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How to archive posts and link to fixed pages

I am sure as long as we archive them they wont care how.

So How do we do that........Like I said I dont know how to deal with the multi page stuff I jsut dont get the logic of them I guess .....been reading to much of this board and I am more lost than ever.

Single pages I can do them all day long :-)
Patricia

www.thenetgirl.com

By Dave - March 20, 2008

So you're comfortable with single pages, that's great! Multi-pages aren't too much harder, they just a little bit to get used to.

I'd start by just experimenting a little. Put the design aside for now, and just create a section called "Races" and some fields like these:

Title
Summary
Uploads

and that's it. Then go to the code viewer and create the pages it suggests: racesList.php and racesPage.php. Then create a few records. If you create more then 10 the next page link will work.

See how you can click the link and go to the racesPage.php page and see more details for a race.

Try removing fields you don't want from racesList.php so it just shows the title and make that a link.

Once you get comfortable with that you can try adding more fields. Every time you add a field you'll need to add some code to display it.

I always start really simple and then add things step by step. If you can make a viewer that shows a list of race titles, great. Then make it sort them by date - newest first. Then make it show 10 and page through when there is more with prev/next links (just create fake content for testing). And so on.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. It's much easier to start with something simple and build on that.
interactivetools.com