Weird Control Characters (HELP !)

10 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 14, 2008   (RSS)

By avrom - March 6, 2008

Hi Dave,

I'm on my second installation of CMS Builder and having two big problems I didn't have in Page Publisher. Please Help !

1. When a client adds a return "enter" on the editor it is creating a <p></p> tag without the non-breaking &nbsp; in the tag. This is causing all kinds of weird "A" symbols all over the text. Now I realize this may be an UTF-8 issue, but I am not willing to switch my web pages from charset=iso-8859-1 compliant code to UTF-8. Help what do I do ?? The editor should add the proper coding, otherwise all my clients will have problems all the time... This didn't happen in Page Publisher but is happening here.

2. Also Control characters such as "TM" trade mark etc. are not showing properly, even when they are inserted with the TinyMCE "CharMap" function.

3. The "Paste From Word" feature worked fine in Page Publisher but will not work properly in CMS Builder with the new TinyMCE Editor. Any ideas why ??

Anyway I always appreciate your help and support, I just want something that is going to work well with my clients and not cause a lot of problems. Most people need to paste their content from MS Word and be able to add empty paragraphs for spacing, etc.

Thanks so much :)

Avrom

Re: [virgodesign] Weird Control Characters (HELP !)

By avrom - March 6, 2008

Hi Dave,

I checked through the forums. I tried the UTF-8 and it worked fine, issue solved. :) Now to see if I can get the paste from word feature working...

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">

By Dave - March 6, 2008

So everything is working now except paste from word?

TinyMCE 3 has some addons and features from paste from word, we just haven't turned them on or explored them yet.

Did you have an extra button for that in Page Publisher or what was different from how it's working now?

Let me know and I'm sure we can get it working the way you want or very close.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Weird Control Characters (HELP !)

By avrom - March 6, 2008

Hi Dave,

Thank you, yes the UTF-8 encoding solved the issue, and I assume really has no impact on web browsing.

I had the Paste from Word feature working on 3 sites with Page Publisher no problem, both in IE and Mozilla. But it didn't work with the new TinyMCE editor in CMS Builder. I would be pleased to try it out again and have you help me with that. I will get it installed and then email you the login info.

Thank you very much.

By Dave - March 6, 2008

Was it with the default Page Publisher setup or did you customize your Page Publisher TinyMCE to change how pasting from word worked?
interactivetools.com

By avrom - March 6, 2008

Cheers David,

The only customization was to add the extra "paste from word" button into the editor, and upload the "paste" utility into the plug-ins. So no coding modifications or anything like that.

By Dave - March 6, 2008

Ok, I've added this feature to v1.11 (in development). If you're comfortable modifying the code here's how to add it to your version right now:

Upload the files from the attached zip (tinymce_paste_plugin.zip) to /cmsAdmin/tinymce3/plugins/paste/*.* being sure to maintain the directory structure.

Open /lib/menus/default/edit.php and search for "inlinepopups". Replace that line with this:

plugins: 'inlinepopups,contextmenu,table,fullscreen,paste',

Open /lib/menus/default/edit_functions.php and search for "inlinepopups". Replace that line with this:

plugins: 'inlinepopups,contextmenu,table,fullscreen,paste',

In the same file, search for "theme_advanced_buttons2" and replace that line with this (or add the 'pastetext' and 'pasteword' buttons where ever you like).

theme_advanced_buttons2 : "forecolor,backcolor,|,hr,link,unlink,image,table,|,pastetext,pasteword,|,code",

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any assistance with that.
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

tinymce_paste_plugin.zip 8K

By avrom - March 6, 2008

Dude, you rock ! Works like a charm.

I think I owe you a beer next time I am in town... at the very least I continue to do business with Interactive Tools because of the awesome support.

By kcallana - March 13, 2008

i tried setting up the paste from word, but the zip file was missing a file blank.htm. I posted a blank html file and the window is coming up to paste to but I can not paste into it? Any ideas on what the blank.htm file is supposed to have for coding?