2 prepurchase questions

9 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 22, 2008   (RSS)

By retray - February 18, 2008

Hi,

Been test driving CMS Builder and it's great but I have one really basic question/problem and one a bit more involved:

1) In the content editor when I try and create a link to another page and when I browse for the URL I'm presented with the Uploaded Images dialogue box. Am I missing something?

2) Can I create/apply a template that my client can use to create new pages with links to them?

Thanks in advance

Derek

Re: [retray] 2 prepurchase questions

By Dave - February 18, 2008

Hi retray,

1) The browse button is for linking to uploaded files or images. Generally you'd just enter an url you wanted to link to manually by cutting and pasting or just typing it in.

2) By template, do you mean where they select a design through the wysiwyg for the page? We don't support that... There are a few other way you can let the client choose the design of their page (such as having a pulldown for "design" that selected the CSS or templates to use for header/footer, etc. Other than that, if you had an example of the kind of pages you want them to be able to create I could give you a better idea of how it might be possible.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] 2 prepurchase questions

By retray - February 18, 2008

Thanks Dave

1)Is there likely to be a feature to enable users to browse for an internal url in a future update?

2)I'll send you something tomorrow regarding the template (it's getting late here UK time!)

Thanks
Derek

By Dave - February 18, 2008

>1)Is there likely to be a feature to enable users to browse for an internal url in a future update?

Probably not. It would be possible with some custom code (the wysiwyg editor, tinymce, has 'hooks' for it) but I don't know how we could do it in a way that would make sense.

The reason is because of how CMS Builder works we don't know the layout of the website or where the viewers are or any of that, so we don't have a logical list of urls that we could let the user browse.

There's a few other ways to do related products/articles, etc. So if you're trying to do something like that let me know what it is and I'll try and think of another method.

Have you found users prefer browsing for an url instead of copying and pasting an url from their browser? Or did you want to use that functionality to implement something else?
interactivetools.com

By retray - February 20, 2008

Hi Dave,

Regarding the template idea, my test site is at www.avidtesting.co.uk/buckle and I'd like my client to be able to create new pages based on the attached screenshot. If this is possible in any way I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

Derek
Attachments:

buckle_green_screen.jpg 100K

By Dave - February 20, 2008

Derek,

Yes, you could. You'd just paste the viewer code inside that template and it would display the content inside the template.

The best way is to experiment and give it a try (have you downloaded the 10 day trial?). If there's anything you're not sure about or don't know how to do just let me know and I'll help you out.
interactivetools.com

By retray - February 21, 2008

Hi Dave,

I'm on the 9th day of my free trial and about to purchase. I created a template called article1.php pasting in the viewer code so my client can select it from the menu.

I understand that part, I suppose what I'm really asking is there a way they can just create any number of new pages based on that one template or will I have to create a bunch of blank pages - article1.php, article2.php etc that they can populate? Then of course the name of the file may not be appropriate for them. I can email you the login details if it helps.

Many thanks

Derek

By Dave - February 21, 2008

Sounds good. And remember, even after you purchase we have a 90 day refund period. So you can try it out risk free. I always like to say (and offer) that because I've been left holding the bag a few times myself on software purchases that didn't work out.

On to your question. Usually you just have 2 pages. A "list page" that lists the records, and a "detail page" that shows details about a certain record. When you link to the detail page it will pass the number on the end, like this: showPage.php?1 So there will be a unique url for each record, but you only need to create 2 files.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.
interactivetools.com